Monday, October 13, 2008

Never a dull moment.

Or a free moment, it seems.

Which is totally not true - I have all kinds of time. I just find lots and lots of stuff - fun stuff - with which to fill it.

Went to the big middle school chicken noodle dinner Friday night. It was better than I expected - the band sounded good, and the eighth-grade choirs were good. (I'll reserve comment on the seventh-grade choir.) Saw some friends, including some I hadn't seen since we've been back.

Saturday we went to Sylvia's soccer game - she won - then painted the bathroom. Then Saturday night Gary and I were invited to the home of some new acquaintances for dinner. He is running for County Council, and we've met them a couple of times lately at different functions. Out of the blue they called and invited us over. I can't figure out if they are grooming us for something or are just entranced by how charming we are.

In either case, it was a pleasant evening; they are a very nice couple. A bit older than we are, but fun. After dinner, we headed down to OUTober Fest, hoping to do some people watching. Saw a few friends, but Gary pointed out that most of GLBT friends are probably home in bed by 10.30 - !

The girls walked downtown earlier to check out the festival. They ran into a friend, Kat. There were protestors, and Kat asked if they were bothering the girls. No, they said, they were fine. OK, Kat said. But if you need me, just put out the Kat Signal.

Funny.

Came home after I got a phone call from my BFF up the street. She and some others were hanging out, sharing wine, and she was wondering where I was ... so I walked down to join the crowd, just as it was breaking up. But I was not quite done partying, so I twisted BFF's arm, along with that of my neighbor, CK. The three of us sat on CK's porch and drank wine til she kicked us out at 2 a.m.

CK is a hoot. She lives behind me, and she knows BFF, since we all live near one another. (And this is a tight-knit neighborhood.) CK also knows someone I go to church with, and have sort-of a history with (long, long story that doesn't really involve me so much but other people that I am pretty good friends with.) This whole group of people who grew up here and still live here are all so connected. This history does not, naturally, involve me or BFF. But we know everyone involved.

My point - and I do have one - is that Lafayette really is a small town. I feel like I know everyone - and at some point, you feel as if you know a little too much about everyone.

So we discussed our mutual friend, some other mutual friends, and other neighbors. One in particular, I used to think was rude. Or arrogant. Or not friendly. Or didn't like me. But it's not just me - BFF commented in particular about how this woman treats her every time they see one another. I was always surprised that they were not friends - just seemed like they should be. And CK said the same thing. I have another friend who knows this person, has filled me in a bit.

Which leads to may last bit of wisdom - and it's a big one: It's not about me. The way she treats me? The way I would take it personally and feel dissed? It has nothing to do with me. Maybe she's shy; maybe she does not realize. So little of what we perceive is really about us.

I'm learning. It has taken me years to figure some of this stuff out. But it feels good to reach this next level.

This is my new mantra in dealing with people: It's not personal. And this new-found philosophy is so liberating - I feel great.

And I learned something else: BFF and CK? They are sooo much fun! Must make plans to get together again soon.

I'm rambling. Now that I've shared my new enlightenment, must run. Cheers!

No comments: