Monday, March 19, 2007

What happened to the weather?

Our lovely spring days are over; yesterday was bright and sunnny and 70, and today is 35, windy, and sleety. It was beautiful while it lasted.

We've done tons more touristic things here in our nation's capital: Ford's Theatre, Washington Monument, Natl. Portrait Gallery, Museum of American Art (or some name like that), and on and on. Today we visited Mount Vernon and drove past the Pentagon and Arlington - it was just too cold and wet to get motivated to walk around. I seem to remember driving through back in the 70s ...

Yesterday we visited the House of Representatives. We sat in the gallery and watched them vote on some small appropriations bill. There were - I kid you not - about 12 people on the House floor when we got there. I as underwhelmed and hoped the girls wouldn't leave with the wrong idea. However, as the vote went on, the place filled up. Biggest disappointment: Nancy Pelosi was not in the speaker's chair. I had wanted the girls to see her, but it wasn't going to happen. But it was fun, anyway, to see the Chamber, see where the state of the union is made each year, see the big electronic voting scoreboard.

My feet hurt less today, but everyone is chilly. I checked the weather before we left and knew what to expect; we all packed properly and I made sure everyone brought gloves. But after a year in Texas, 35 and sleeting is cold. Damn cold.

One more day ... I don't want to go home!

No comments: