Monday, March 19, 2007

Home again, home again ...

Jiggety jog. Or something like that.

(I'm a whiz at nursery rhymes. That's a weird thing to know about me.)

I shouldn't be so off-handed about the fact that we're home; many airline passengers were waylaid by the storm in the east, which just missed us. We had some sleet, barely measurable amounts of snow, and some c-o-l-d temps. We considered going to the anti-war march, but it was just too cold for us - we were not dressed properly to be outside in 20-degree windchills. And we wanted to meet some friends, so we spent the day in museums; not a bad choice. We're from Houston now, so temps around 35 are freeeeezing.

It was a good trip. I've been up since 4 am local time today, so I am beat; no sleeping on the plane for me. I'll spare you too many more ruminations on travel in DC. It's amazing - period. Lots to see, historical relevance everywhere, and many of the museums are free since they're part of the Smithsonian system. It's a fantastic trip, with or without kids.

But I have many thoughts on travel, on rude people, on those who figure their time is somehow more important than the rest of ours (one of my pet peeves).

(Another pet peeve is people who act as if their children are more special, or seem to think that somehow they love their children just a little more than the rest of us do. Give me a break - we all think our children are wonderful. I worked with someone who fell into this category - you know the type.)

For now, I'm tired. We've been home since noon - six hours - and I've accomplished little. I'm just in recovery mode.

Later ...

***These are from more than a day ago - technical difficulties. Stupid Internet.***

No comments: