Thursday, March 08, 2007

Movies not to see

Where to begin? There are so many. Today's top not-recommendation is the remake of Poseidon - very bad. I confess, I'm a fan of that 1972 disaster flick (along with The Towering Inferno - you have to love watching the "all-star" cast and wondering who will or won't make it out alive) but the remake, even though it boasts Richard Dreyfuss among its "stars," is a true dud.

I should note that I DID NOT expend any funds to see this clunker, unless you count my HBO subscription. I caught it on a sick day. Bad dialogue, predictable action (you see the first two deaths coming from a mile away), and less-than-impressive story line - in short, not worthy of a remake if you're not going to improve on the original.

(And the kid is really annoying ...)

Another thanks-to-HBO movie I wouldn't recommend? The Family Stone. Hated it.

The only reason we have HBO is for The Sopranos. New season - the final season - starts April 8. After it's over, we'll have to rethink whether or not to keep HBO. I'm not involved at the moment with any of their other series. And even if I were, they come out on DVD and I can watch them that way (I never watched Curb Your Enthusiasm even with HBO, so I'll be resorting to DVD for it, anyway).

For the five weeks I did Junior Achievement for Sylvia's class, movies were showing that I would have loved to see on a Friday afternoon. Letters from Iwo Jima. Pursuit of Happyness. Now? A bunch of movies I wouldn't even watch for free on HBO. Surely Factory Girl will find its way out here. Hate Sienna Miller, but I'm intrigued with the way she channels Edie Sedgwick.

When I see it, I'll let you know how it turns out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I rented "The Family Stone" thinking it would be a nice chick flick and also hated it! What a waste of my time! Another movie I hated - "Marie Antoinette." Bleah. I kept wanting them to behead her just so the movie would end.