Monday, March 12, 2007

Day One in DC

Now I remember why I hate the suburbs; I am definitely an urban kind of gal. I am completely reveling in all that is Washington DC. It is one of my top five cities in the world; they're not ranked, but they include New York, London, Paris and San Francisco.

So, needless to say, it's been a good trip thus far. We arrived yesterday - despite the very early wake-up (thanks, daylight-saving time) we all got up and were ready to go plenty early. Flight was delayed briefly, but we arrived at the hotel before 4 pm. We're staying in Chevy Chase (and you're not - tee hee), which, judging from the local retail is quite the tony address: Tiffany, Cartier, Dior, Ralph Lauren, Van Cleef & Arpels, Vera Wang, and Brooks Brothers are all just up the road (as are the Gap and Cheesecake Factory ...). And the metro is just a couple blocks.

Today was just sight-seeing: walked up the Mall, checking out the Capital, Washington Monument, ellipse, White House; we spent some time at the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum - not really my first choice, as aviation history isn't necessarily my thing, but it houses the temporary collection from the American History Museum, which includes Archie Bunker's chair, Seinfeld's puffy shirt, the Woolworth's lunch counter from Greensboro, Thomas Jefferson's desk, Abraham Lincoln's hat and - the piece de resistance for my girls - the ruby slippers. You know - THE ruby slippers, along with the Scarecrow's costume. Then we went to the National Archives, where we waited in a long line, but it was well worth it to see the actual Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. I'd never been before on previous trips - not sure why - and I tell you, it was truly moving. Sadly, the Bill of Rights is not currently on display .... but hey, the rest was worth it.

I've become a more aggressive traveler in major urban areas. When the woman on the very full Metro car had her bags taking up a seat, I told her I wanted to sit. And the couple trying to cut in line at the museum, they were told to get back in line. The people trying to push in front of us at the Declaration of Independence? I told them where the line was. Everyone else queued up to see it - why should these people get to push ahead? I cannnot stand it when people act as if their time is somehow more valuable than the rest of ours.

Maddie and I were entertained by the woman wearing the very bad capri pants ensemble - you know the kind, with the icky embroidered flowers on the hem. Worn with short socks and running shoes, it is quite a look. Where are the fashion police when you need them? We may start writing our own citations.

Ate dinner at a charming diner near DuPont Circle. Fun area. It is full of delightful little brownstones, cool shopping, lots of ethnic restaurants. Kinda cool and funky.

I must move away from the suburbs. Must. Must.

I'm beat - night night.

No comments: