Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Useless

My time is valuable. Seriously. I know I am only employed part-time; I know that I have time to whip through two books a week. I know that I work at home, that I have minimal outside commitments.

None the less, my time is worth a lot. A. Lot. And while I can appreciate that those of us who have committed to teach Junior Achievement in the elementary school classes need training, I want that training to be worthwhile. I resent that the two-and-a-half hour session could have been accomplished in 30 well-organized minutes.

It's not the facilitator's fault that some participants asked stupid questions. (And for the record, all those teachers who said there's no such thing as a stupid question were so wrong; they are definitely possible. I witnessed several today.) But we sat and watched a video that consisted of smiley kids, teachers and JA leaders singing the praises of Junior Achievement for a non-essential 10 minutes. You know, if I didn't believe this program was worth my time, I woudn't be here. Stop preaching to the converted.

Other than the tips on how to manage class time, the entire session felt like a JA cheerleading session. I think the material is well planned and organized; any questions I have are dealt with in the handbook. I didn't need the corny humor of the guy who referred constantly to "kin-DE-garten."

This waste of time took up half my day. So I went to the library, came home, and watched most of "A Raisin in the Sun." Who wouldn't enjoy a movie starring Sidney Poitier?

The in-laws left this morning. They thought they might stay til 9, but they didn't realize I would be leaving the house early. Tomorrow my day is my own again.

Back to my routine. I've grown used to it. I rather enjoy some of my alone time, enjoy the parts that are relaxing. I have some work to do, and I like to do it on my own time.

If I am going to waste time, I'll decide how to do it on my own, thanks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is why I decline to sit on boards. It seems like every time I accepted an invitation to be a part of a NFPO Board of Directors, I spent the entire meeting time being frustrated that. Every board had somebody who wanted to beat a topic to death and waste my time. Now, if I believe in the organization, I give them money. Let someone else sit through long-winded meetings.

Like you, I view my time as very valuable. True, I don't have a "real" job, but my time is still mine, therefore it's worth a lot. I don't appreciate it when it gets wasted.

Thank goodness tomorrow is your own again. Thursdays are my favorite days because I normally don't have any set obligations which means I can decide what's important and what's not.