Wednesday, October 11, 2006

All in a day's work

What happened to Monday?

Oh, I remember; I lost Monday. The girls were home from school — nice, but not very eventful. But it means I lost a weekday. And considering that this week I actually have stuff to do ... eeek! How will I get it all done?

So, yesterday, I did find time to go to lunch with a friend. She is heading out of town for two weeks (her family is in Barbados). Ran by Target to search for exterior Halloween finery. Inside looks charming — we are properly adorned with little pumpkins, ghosts, and witches. But outside, save for a door wreath and orange lights, is really sub-par for our neighborhood. I'm waiting for a letter from the Homeowners' Association.

It rained yesterday. A lot. (Maddie's poor desk, which sits under her window, bears the proof.) But it was over before 2 p.m. When I returned from Target at 5 p.m., the answering machine was full; half the messages were from Maddie's friend, but several were from parents on the soccer team. So I called one dad to confirm that we were practicing.

He: Really? It's pouring here.
Me: Well, it's not raining here. It rained earlier and it's a bit muddy, but the rain stopped hours ago.
He: It's pouring here.
Me: (???) Well. It's. Not. Raining. Here.

But what I wanted to say was, Really, buddy, what do you want me to say? There is no rain here, so the practice goes on as scheduled.

Company coming over the weekend, so I need to get the house in order. Really in order; it's the first time my in-laws have visited, so I want things to like nice. I may as well wait til tomorrow; these girls can't keep things in order for three whole days. And their rooms are the problem. As always.

And I'm off. Much to do ... clean my desk (OK, it's not always the girls' rooms that provide our mess). My office doubles as the guest room, so I'll need to tidy up. But since I officially put the magazine to rest today (yay!) I think I can clear away my paper pile.

Have a wonderful day, all!

No comments: