Thursday, November 06, 2008

Winter creeps in

So much for our beautiful summer-like weather. November is pushing its way in, slowly, leaving pleasant fall temperatures firmly in the past. Today was still in the high 60s, but the rains came this afternoon.

The brilliant leaves show up in vibrant contrast to the grey skies. My desk sits in front of a bank of windows, and I can still gaze out on the gold, orange, and scarlet.

This has been a particularly lovely fall, with vivid colors everywhere I look. Maybe I'm just more cognizant after living in Houston; maybe I'm just a romantic. Who knows - I am reveling in fall in the Midwest, loving every minute.

I am just a Midwesterner at heart.

The rain would not really be a problem if I didn't have a crew of workers digging a foundation in my back yard. After the months of anticipation, they have officially begun our addition. The deck is gone, pavers dug up, and there is now, outside my back door, the beginnings of a gaping hole. With any luck it will soon be filled with concrete, on top of which will appear a frame for a 10'x26' two-story addition.

We've been living here since July, feeling as if we are in limbo - no bedroom for Maddie, so much stuff that can't be put away, extra furniture shoved wherever there is room. Now, it is as if we can see the light at the end of the proverbial tunnel.

Soon we will have an actual bedroom for Maddie (well, her room still exists, but only about 4 feet of the room). Slyvia's room will be bigger, and we will have a small guest room (in the fashion of a sleeping porch off Sylvia's room - she will be able to use it when we do not have guests). Once Maddie is vacated from the third floor, we will have our game room back.

And most importantly, we will have a brand-new kitchen. We will have all new appliances, a breakfast bar, an eat-in area. We will get a new half-bath and a small sun room area. New floors, cabinets, countertops, bathroom fixtures, and better lighting.

It is exciting.

So, today I've had to listen to the sound of a jackhammer just outside the kitchen door. But it hasn't bothered me a bit. There are no steps from my back door to the yard - we have to go around to the front. But these are minor inconveniences compared to what lies in store - it will all be worth it.

Small sacrifices.

Once again, I am feeling good. I need to get busy, feel as if I am accomplishing more than learning about presidential history (today it's Jimmy Carter).

I'll deal with that tomorrow. I need to get ready for Family Math Night.

No comments: