Monday, November 17, 2008

Back To The Real World

It is cold outside today. But not for me - I am toasty and warm inside, enjoying the encroachment of winter. And the fireplace is so enjoyable, especially now that the odor of gas has dissipated since I remembered to open the fireplace. I know, I know - stupid - but it's a new (to me) fireplace; our old one, in Houston, was ventless or something and did not require opening.

Live and learn. Fortunately without disastrous after-effects. You know, like asphyxiation.

I am wondering how long my enchantment with winter will last. Right now, it isn't *really* cold - in the mid to low-30s. Quite bearable, especially when I drive my car. The mini-van may not be the coolest car in the world, but it does have seat warmers.

The hot chocolate, the cozy days by the fireplace, the wardrobe, my beautiful new coat (it's longer, but short enough that you can still see my boots and the bottom of my skirt - trés chic), right now, it is all delightful.

Check back with me in a month. Or three weeks.

****

This weekend was such fun - never a dull moment here for me. I'm making up for what felt like a social drought over the past couple of years. Friday night was a coffee house concert at church. Huge crowd - we were at capacity. As with most events at church, it was great - good music, good food, great people.

Then Saturday, it was off to Chicago with JoAnn and Barb to see Jersey Boys.

I love Jersey Boys - as I said when we saw it last winter, it is like Sopranos meets boy band. Great music but a compelling story, complete with tons of F-bombs. Fun stuff. Barb and I wanted to stand and dance ... but somehow, it just didn't feel right. And after that usher yelled - and I do mean yelled - at the women who wanted to snap a shot of themselves in their seats way before the show started, I was not feeling bold and daring - I think he would have reduced me to tears.

(I mean really - I understand the ban on photography during the show. But in their seats? Quarter of an hour before curtain? Wonder if he was a real Jersey Boy, the way he hollered.)

It was a totally satisfying day, complete with the waiter at dinner comping our drinks. Not quite sure why he did that, unless he is smart enough to know he has that power and that he will then rack up a huge tip (which he did). He's clearly too smart to be a waiter for long.

Then yesterday I attended the Jeff High School production of Beauty and the Beast, starring (well, not starring, but featuring) my own daughter, Alison, as a member of the chorus.

Jeff has an excellent music/arts program, so the show was, as expected, very good. The kids who played Belle, the Beast and Lumiere, in particular, were very good. The set was lovely, as were the costumes. The show sold out both performances.

There is a family in town with kids the same ages as mine (well, they have a slew of kids; they have a kid everyone's age). They are the type of family who tends to think their kids are a little more important, a bit more talented, more loved, more special than others' children.

This family exists in every school - trust me; we all know them. So their kid has a very small part - important enough to get a bio, but small. So, in the bio section, who has the longest bio? Longer than Belle, the Beast, than any of the seniors in the production? Of course.

And for the record? No one wants to read about every activity you've ever been in - it's a brief bio. That family is something else. And it's not just my opinion - trust me. I've heard others' whispers.

But I won't let that affect my enjoyment of the weekend. The show was great, and Alison did well. She seemed to have a great time.

Now it's Monday - back to normal. The fantasy is over, but I can lean on it when the week turns into drudgery. Which it will. Where is my enchanted castle when I need it?

No comments: