Friday, November 28, 2008

Thankful

So Thanksgiving was two days ago - it's never too late to pause and reflect on all the various reasons I have for being grateful.

In so many ways, I lead what appears to be a charmed life. I have a wonderful husband - we have been married for 20 years and still get along great - and three smart, beautiful daughters. We have fantastic friends and family who would do anything for us. We have a lovely home (sure, it's under construction, but it will be stunning when it's done). We have financial security and are essentially debt-free (unless you count the mortgage), and I have the luxury of being choosy about when or if I go back to work. Truly, life has been very, very good to us.

All the little annoyances - people who make inconsiderate comments, the pesky aggravations of everyday life - rather than getting worse as I grow older, these minor distractions are having less and less effect on me. I've learned not to worry about other people so much and to assume that the problem is theirs, not mine.

As we enter the holiday season, I know how truly we lucky we are to have so few real needs - we do not lack for health care, do not worry about how we will send our daughter to college. And after the election in November, I have real hope for the future of this country. The transition will be peaceful, which is not something to be taken lightly.

Thankful. Indeed.

No comments: