Thursday, November 13, 2008

Equality 2008

Note from the choir booster club, seeking help for the upcoming musical: "We need Dads to help disassemble the set - Moms can help with light work ... need Moms to help with costumes."

Maybe it's just me, but aren't we past sexism in work duties? So I very nicely wrote a response to the parent, acknowledging all her hard work, but posing the question; I think that in 2008, we owe our daughters more than that. She wrote back and said she is just repeating the requests she gets from the director.

So it's an institutional problem.

Nothing changed. I didn't change her mind, and I doubt she says anything to the director. Though you never know. And I do believe that every time she writes, types, or reads those requests in the future, she will think twice about sexist language.

Small satisfaction, but sometimes, progress is slow, and educating people takes time. Just like those people who use terms like "uppity blacks" and see nothing wrong with it; they have to be taught their racism, and sometimes women need to be taught just how they are helping perpetuate unequal treatment.

There is certainly hope with the next generation; my daughters will benefit from that, anyway.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm stronger than Steve so I would be a better help than he in disassembling sets! Good for you for calling her on it. At least you gave her something to think about.