Monday, November 17, 2008

So Many Books, So Little Time

For once, I actually read every book I brought home from the library. It's much like going to a fantastic buffet - my eyes are usually much bigger than my actual capacity to read, and I end up checking out way more books than I can possibly finish in the allotted time.

So today, back I went, ready for more reading material. In the interest of full disclosure, I should probably point out that the books I read were half-mindless fare. But I am a big believer in junk reading, as long as it is alternated with more worthwhile selections. Reading could never be bad (though there are a lot of bad books out there).

I am thrilled to be living near a good library again. The library nearest us in Houston was part of the local community college. It was a nice facility, but the fiction selections were limited. Here, I am just blocks from the county library. I usually walk, but today I had other errands to run, so I stopped on my way home and picked up a pile of stuff with which to occupy myself. I got a book club pick (Eat, Pray, Love - heard it is terrible, but I'll read it for the group), a David Mamet novel (didn't know he had written any novels - hope his prose reads differently than his plays - !), American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld (very anxious to read this), and two others that fall into the "light reading" category that I am not going to mention.

I have a list of books I intend to read that is longer than I imagine I will be alive. But it's good to have goals, huh? And more books are always being written. Plus, there is excellent children's literature that I like to have a look at, and books I like to re-visit.

So what am I doing here? Exactly - my comfy chair awaits!

No comments: