Thursday, August 14, 2008

Twenty Years Ago

On August 13, 1988, I married the man of my dreams. Thus, on August 13, 2008, we celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary.

Here we are, way back in 1986. The adorable couple.



And here we are a few years later, on the big day.



I know, I know: The permed hair. The dated look of the photo. But it doesn't matter - the only really important thing about your wedding day is the person you share it with, and I got that right. Plus, I am wearing my mother's wedding dress, another memory I cherish. It was a wonderful day. Plus, we followed it with a trip to London, a great start to a marriage filled with fantastic travels.

Here we are just a few years ago, in front of our house on Owen Street.



And here we are as we set out to celebrate the evening. Do we look old enough to have been married this long?



A different shot - so you can see the dress. It's the same dress I wore to my in-laws 50th anniversary party - the girls now call it my anniversary dress.



The shoes are pretty cute, too - trust me. That's our living room fireplace behind us. We shoved all the unpacked boxes out of the way.

I could share with you all the reasons we have a great marriage, all the trials and tribulations we've weathered as a couple, all the reasons I love this man, why he's my best friend, my soul mate, the love of my life. But none of it matters to anyone but us. Suffice it to say, we are very happy in this life we've created together, our three beautiful daughters, the adventures we've shared.

Last night we went to dinner at Maize, one of my favorite downtown restaurants. We shared an appetizer, each drank a martini and a glass of wine. We skipped dessert and went to BW3, where we played trivia - and won - making our evening complete.

No trip this year, no big gifts. We discussed our house renovation and made plans to purchase a new washer and dryer. One that will last another 20 or 30 years. Because I know we will be together to share it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'm amazed it has been 20 years since you guys got married. Love the permed hair. Then again, I'm sure I was no fashion queen at the time. I'm glad I was a part of your wedding day and am still in touch with you today.

Here's to 20 more years!

Cindy said...

I'll see your 20 and raise you 10 more - I want my children to throw a 50th anniversary party for us!