Thursday, August 28, 2008

Musings

Warning: More gushing about the Democratic convention ahead. Proceed with caution.

The inspector has been here. A couple of things need to be fixed - codes change every year - then it's drywall time. Then we will feel real progress. I have ordered the bathroom vanity and medicine chests; I have already purchased light fixtures and faucets, the tub and toilet. The shower base is installed. We have chosen, but not purchased, tile for the floor and walls; I've looked at towel bars but haven't bought anything yet.

It's exciting to feel as if completion is on the horizon. And it won't be a moment too soon - our lack of bathroom space is starting to reach the crisis point.

After the bathroom is done, I can start painting our bedroom. Not sure why I feel as if it needs to be finished first, but I do. I will need to strip wallpaper - a hideous floral pattern in mauves and blues - and get rid of the taupe carpet. It probably wasn't bed when it was new, but it is dreadfully stained. Though I may leave it in my dressing room, where it isn't worn. Why mess with it in a closet.

I will also be able to paint the smaller bathroom. Right now it has pink floral wallpaper, which is not the girls' style. So I'll take care of that later. But I need to wait until the new bathroom is done; we can't sacrifice the space just yet.

It will all get done. Patience required.

Once again, we watched the convention yesterday. I watched the roll call vote - one of my favorite parts, even with all the posturing, even though I had heard what was coming. Usually, the candidate's home state is given the opportunity to cast the votes that officially give him (I can say that - it always is) the nomination. But this year, in what I considered to be a very generous concession, they had Hillary Clinton, for the state of New York, suggest that the rules of the convention be suspended and, in the name of unity, that the convention, by acclimation, give the nomination to Barack Obama. It was a class act, and one of those moments that makes me proud of my country.

On a side note, I don't get why people don't like Hillary Clinton. Sure, she's tough; she's a strong, sharp woman. And I still contend that all the qualities some say they don't like about her would be seen as assets for a man - the no-nonsense approach, the hint of arrogance, the sharp tongue. Me, I admire her for it. Are the Kennedys and Bushes not equally afflicted with that air of entitlement? Of course they are - but they are men. She is punished because she is a woman - it's that simple.

But last night she gracefully ceded to Obama. As did her husband, who gave a fantastic speech, encouraging his party to support this man who will make history. Joe Biden spoke, too, getting us ready for Obama to take the stage - or stadium, if you will - tonight. I can hardly wait. I'd have the girls watch, but it won't be on til after 10 p.m., and I cannot let them stay up that late.

But before that monumental moment, I have tons of stuff to do. I am not very fastidious with my housekeeping these days - it feels sort of pointless. I do the barest of bare minimum - the laundry, the dishes, making beds. I run the vacuum when needed. And that is about all I can manage. When we're done, I'll be more motivated.

The last of the open houses tonight.

I feel a bit adrift these days. It's that unsettled feeling. It's not necessarily bad, and I know it's only for now. I just need to settle into my routine. Whatever that is.

Must get cracking.

No comments: