Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Some good, some bad

The weather is gorgeous right now. It is in the 80s during the day - warm enough to swim - but in the high 50s at night. No humidity; well, maybe some, but I'm still on Houston humidity levels. This, my friends, is nothing. Loving it.

I walked downtown to meet a friend for lunch, which was nice. I love walking, and I love that I can walk. Suburban Houston was all about driving. And in my subdivision, it was all about driving your Suburban (or corresponding model). Trés wasteful. I am so, so pleased to live somewhere where I don't need to drive. Watch my energy usage plummet.

Our electric bill for this month was a fraction of what it would have been in Houston. But check back with me in January.

We also got our new car insurance quote: It is literally half of what we were paying in Houston. And a full half of our bill is for Alison. Teen drivers - what can you do?

Small struggles as we adjust to school back here in Indiana. It will all be fine, but it all takes time. I imagine we will have some rough days to get through before it all evens out.

Bathroom work is progressing. Slowly. But nothing happens instantly.

I got a BINGO in the newspaper's BINGO game. Go, me! I played real BINGO a few nights ago, at a fund raiser for Transitional Housing.

I didn't win. This is a drag because I am very competitive - I really like to win. That nonsense about how it's in how you play the game, not whether you win or lose? Right. Try telling that to Gene Keady. Or any other NCAA coach.

But the table next to us? Three winners! Count 'em - three. And two wins by the same woman. I know - it was an outrage. And even worse? Some winners were not calling out BINGO, but merely shrieking.

Now, I don't know about you, but I've been playing BINGO for a long time. And everyone knows that when you win, you yell, "Bingo!" You don't whoop; you don't holler. You yell, "Bingo!"

Those wins should have been disqualified. There are rules, after all. And this was a game for fabulous prizes. Not that I thought I should win (though it might have been nice). We should have to follow the rules; that's all I'm saying.

JoAnn and I are totally going back next year. And we hope to find enough people to get out own table; we are already spreading the word. And starting to collect our little good luck statues.

Anyway, I got a newspaper BINGO. So I mailed in my entry where, as it turns out, it will be entered into a drawing.

A drawing? There is no prize guarantee. Now what is the point of a game with no guaranteed prizes?

Let's see ... open house at the high school tonight; birthday at our house tomorrow. I've gotten a freelance assignment.

Good, bad, in-between. It's an OK mixture.

No comments: