Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Perspective

I love the onset of fall. Even though the days are warm - in the 80s - the nights are cool, and in the mornings, there is a bit of a nip in the air.

I love it. It's one of the things I missed while in Houston. The summer there seemed to stretch into December, and the spate of cool-ish weather was over by the end of February. Having distinct seasons is a good thing, I've decided. I'm sure I'll be whining about the cold soon enough, but for now, I am savoring the gradual changes as we segue into September.

So many things need to get done; so many things are just not getting accomplished. But I'm taking it slow. Things are still not really unpacked and put away, but it's just not going to happen. We are well into construction, and I've decided to just not worry about it. In four months, everything will be finished - bathroom, kitchen, girls' bedrooms. Four months seems like a very long time while you're living through it, but once it's over, we'll be fine. So, I am getting done what I get and not stressing about the rest.

Baby steps. I'm taking baby steps.

Same goes in the job search. I was uptight briefly, thinking, I want to go back to work; I need to go back to work. But I've decided to slow down. I like being here when Sylvia comes home (the other two are older, but they could use some guidance as well). Money is not the issue. So if something comes up, great. If not, I'll just supervise the construction, take care of things around here, find some volunteer work.

Baby steps.

*****

The weekend was amazing. We saw tons of friends, went to a couple parties, and had fun. Needless to say, very little got done around the house (other then time in the pool).

I never get tired of hearing people say, "I am so glad you moved back!" Me, too, I tell them. Me, too.

Weekend highlights include:

• Friends from Germany in town; had them over Friday evening for drinks.

• Worked the church rummage sale. Not a highlight, really, but I feel good that I actually contributed my time to something worthwhile.

• Sylvia's soccer game. They lost, but she played well.

• Gary fixed the polaris (pool cleaner). Made our time in the pool on Saturday more enjoyable. And cleaner.

• Went to a party. Women only. Given by some of my favorite friends. Let me tell you, they know how to throw a party. Yes, I was a karaoke hog. But not alone - Kat and Kitty were up there with me. Kitty and I started just flipping through the tracks on the CD, singing whichever ones appealed to us. So glad Kat's rendition of Like a Virgin is documented on video. I was there, too, but she was WAY more into than I was. Fun, fun time - I'm going to start practicing for next year.

Next year I will remember to put on bug repellent. My legs are covered. And they itch.

• Went to the parent meeting for high school choir (they had ice cream). And got to chat with some other people I have not seen for some time, one friend in particular. So it was not boring at all, but in fact, quite fun.

• Went to a neighbor's Welcome Back party. Also very fun. Hung out in the garden, chatted, compared iPhones. (Debbie has the new cool one; Mike, Melanie, and I have lame-o first edition iPhones. We feel totally inferior. Sigh.) Got caught up on the scoop on schools, neighbors, HOA, etc. And had a lot of fun.

Here it is Tuesday. Much to do ... so naturally, I took some time out and got a pedicure. I was hoping to at least get my desk in order today - no small task, but it's my goal.

Baby steps.

No comments: