Thursday, August 07, 2008

Busy. And a birthday to boot.

We are living in utter chaos. And I don't see things changing anytime soon.

Two rooms in our house have everything put away. And those two rooms are only temporary. Sylvia's room is tidy, as is the bigger bathroom upstairs. But Sylvia's room will face demolition when they add onto the back, and the bathroom will change when our bathroom is done (which will, thankfully, free up the clutter in the smaller bathroom). We can't put everything away in the kitchen - not enough space. The dining room has overflow from the kitchen, including all the furniture. Our bedroom has overflow from the girls' rooms. Maddie is living upstairs with Alison, which means we can't put away the game room stuff. Alison's room could be in order ... but isn't. The living room has overflow from the family room and a lot of extra furniture that needs to go. The office has overflow from the kitchen.

And on and on and on. Sigh.

I spent yesterday in the dining room, trying to sort out all the stuff from the china cabinet and the sideboard. Which, apparently, is stuffed with various and sundry items that are rarely used. Some of it is going. I love having lots of entertaining items, but realistically, much of that stuff is not getting used, and it can go find another home.

I get to look at all these items, many of which sit in the china cabinet, on the top shelf, and don't get noticed. So I've enjoyed taking a long look at some of the pieces. Many of them are little items my grandmothers gave to me - a tea cup, a tea set, a glass dish, a tiny thimble. I appreciated these pieces when they were given to me, but I really treasure them now, these little remembrances of my grandmothers. They are worth very little, I'm sure, but they have incredible value to me. I remember when she gave them to me, and the story she told. I look forward to passing these same items to my daughters.

In that sense, it's much more than a cabinet full of dishes. It's a holding place for memories, for pieces of my family. And it's worth more than anyone could know.

*****

I was so wrapped up in celebrating yesterday that I didn't even get to the computer to wish my middle daughter a happy - gulp - 14th birthday.

What can I say about Madeleine that has not been said before? She is smart, funny, and a delight to be around. She is willing and helpful; she has a keen sense of detail and her own sense of her self. And she is my partner in crime as we have become totally enamored of Mad Men. (I know - it's an adult drama, but she is loving it with me - she's a bright girl and can handle it.)

Madeleine is one-of-a-kind, beloved by all who know her. She is true bright spot in our lives.

Happy Birthday to my favorite middle daughter.

No comments: