Monday, August 04, 2008

Joys and Sorrows

I sat and listened to the sharing of joys, sorrows, and concerns at church yesterday. In Peoria, we did it every week; in Houston, it was moved to a gathering before the actual service. Here in Lafayette, it wasn't done at all when we first moved here, but later it was added. Now it is done on the first Sunday of the month. It's much like other rituals - there are some people who stand up every week, others who never share.

I fall into the never share category. I briefly considered getting up yesterday, but opted not to. And someone else mentioned how glad they were we are back.

A few mentions of the shooting last week in Tennessee. The shooting happened at my church. Not my home church, but when it's part of your denomination - and when it seems the church was targeted for its beliefs - then it's not so hard to take it personally.

Mostly, though, as I sat there, I felt the magnitude of my life's joys. I felt how we have been welcomed back, not only by this congregation, but by neighbors and friends. In the three weeks we've been back, I've been approached by friends from every direction - nearly everywhere we go, we run into someone who is surprised or pleased to see us.

It's a good feeling. It's the community I longed for while we lived away, and I am so glad to have found it, intact, just where I left it. I'm glad to be "home."

No comments: