Thursday, December 20, 2007

Winding down

Sigh.

My holiday preparations are nearly over - I am nearly at the point where I can sit back and relax. Take it easy. Enjoy.

I am so ready.

A friend mentioned yesterday that her kids get the week before Christmas off then go back to school Jan. 2. My immediate reaction was horror - without this week free of kids, I would have been totally screwed.

(Plus they would have driven me NUTS with Christmas anticipation. Best that they are in school seven hours a day - kept busy and out of my hair.)

Monday I shopshopshopped. Got loads done. Monday night we partied - well, the best you can party with your husband's colleagues. Lucky for me, not too much shop talk - discussions of NPIs, dealers, and OEDs is dull, dull, dull. Probably even for those who work there, I'm guessing.

Tuesday Gary and I took the day and went to the Galleria. Let me just say, I love the Galleria. It is the ultimate shopping experience - it's just a mall, but it's so much more than a mall. The main part, with the ice skating rink, has fancy stores. Nieman Marcus is the anchor store, and the three levels overlooking the ice rink are lined with all the highest end stores: Caroline Herrera, Stuart Weitzman, Jimmy Choo, Versace. I just look and sigh ... the clothes are so lovely, but just too rich for me. On the sale rack at Stuart Weitzman, shoes were still over $200 a pair - I cannot justify those prices.

(But it dawned on me: If we sold this house and downsized, paid cash for a little three-bedroom ranch, then we'd be mortgage free and I could, in fact, afford to shop those places ... it's worth a thought, anyway ...)

The other leg of the Galleria is just like a regular mall - Macy's, Urban Outfitters, basic mall fare (even a Kirkland's). And a Hello Kitty store - too bad we've pretty much outgrown Hello Kitty. We popped into the Apple Store, Border's, resisted the urge to look in Ann Taylor - even though it is HUGE compared to my local one ... got a bunch o' stuff taken care of.

Gary chose a charming little place for lunch - which was closed - so we ate at the Firkin & Phoenix (did you go to the Ferret & Firkin in London, Amy?). Then headed back toward home, making a few stops on the way.

Remainder of the evening was spent at a middle school band concert - enough said.

Wednesday, Holiday Karma was mine. I packed up all the out-of-town purchases and headed over to the post office. Our local post office has a line out the door in July, much less December. And when I walked in? Nothing - relatively speaking - I was fifth in the queue! People around here give our local post office a hard time, but I have had nothing but success. Next stop: Target. Picked up all those final odds and ends (to the tune of many $$$), and went to wait at the very busy cash registers. Waited, waited ... when voilá! the register DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF ME opened right up - just for me! Some days, this is all it takes ...

Headed home, began the cookie baking for the Wednesday evening cookie exchange: cream cheese spritz. Threw in the margarine, the cream cheese, and found out, at this inopportune moment, that my darling eldest daughter had finished off the flour Monday night ... ran to the store, mixed up the dough, had to relearn the cookie press (this happens every year), and began to crank out my 10 dozen cookies. Lesson No. 2: The dough will not work when it gets too warm. I worked for three hours on cookies, and my kitchen was a total disaster by the time I was done. (Plus the girls came home and "helped" me with the sprinkles ... enough said.)

But the party was fun, and I have a bunch of really yummy cookies to show for my hard work.

Today I made one last run to the mall and have tried - with little success - to get the house in order. Plus I am working on my cards - I think if they get out between now and January 1, I will feel successful.

If you're still with me - and that is debatable, I must say - you can understand my exhaustion. I am beat, but I am upbeat. Tomorrow I am going to Sylvia's party at school, taking Maddie to the eye doctor, and shuttling kids to the movies. (Yes, I am allowing my daughter to see The Golden Compass, and I'm not too worried that she'll be corrupted - it's fiction, and I think my children are smart enough to think for themselves and not be unduly influenced by a book. For the record, they also saw The Chronicles of Narnia, so I think they'll be OK.)

Our party tomorrow evening got canceled, so we can take it easy for the entire weekend.

Sounds great to me!

No comments: