Monday, December 31, 2007

Goodbye, 2007

It was not a year of cataclysmic change for us.

There were no births, no deaths, no beginnings or endings. No moves, no changing of schools or houses.

For us, 2007 was a quiet year. We were not rocked by any major upheavals. For us, that is a good thing. We had a broken bone and a surgery, braces put on, and some migraines. For us, this is situation normal.

The only event that comes close to being monumental - and in its own way, it is - is Alison's turning 16 and getting her permit. But she won't have the license for a few more weeks, which means it's a 2008 event.

Everyone turned a year older, but other than 16, the other birthdays were not the type that herald life change.

But it was, in most ways, a good year. The girls learned and grew; I am proud of the people they've become and revel in watching them evolve into strong young women.

Thus it is with great peace of mind that we forge ahead into 2008. In some ways it's hard to believe that we are eight years past the century mark - I remember as a kid how far away the year 2000 seemed. I knew how old I would be - in my 30s! - and it all seemed so, so far into the distant future. And now it is nearly a decade behind me. I am certifiably a grown-up (even if I don't always feel, much less act, like one).

But all in all, I know how fortunate I am. Gary and I will celebrate our (gulp) 20-year anniversary next year, a feat I do not take lightly, given how many couples do not make it that far. We have three amazing daughters who are destined to do wonderful things. Gary has seen amazing success in his career, and I have seen some. Yet I know that I have time to work on some projects that are underway.

I tend to be tight-lipped about what works are in progress, for me or for my family. I was never one to share the baby names we were considering. So I'll not go into the plans we have for the following year - mostly because it is much too early to say which ones are likely to come to fruition. Suffice it to say, 2008 will be a year of more change than this one has been. Which is OK with me - nothing ever stays the same, really.

As long as the change is for the better, it's all good.

Farewell, 2007 - and 2008, be sure to hold up your end of the bargain. We're headed out to party with friends - Happy New Year!

No comments: