Sunday, December 09, 2007

Note to Mitch Albom

Dear Mitch:

Please stop. You have now written the same book three times. I read Tuesdays with Morrie, and it was OK. You followed up with The Five People You Meet in Heaven (which I read while sitting in my local Barnes and Noble in about 20 minutes - and those are 20 minutes I'll never see again), and now you have this schlock you are calling For One More Day, the movie version of which is taking up valuable air time on my television this very evening.

It is like a saccharine overdose, and I don't think I can stand anymore. Please put us out of our collective misery - no more. OK, so you're a sensitive guy and like to ruminate on What If's ... and Ways Life Coulda/Shoulda/Woulda. We get it already. Move on to another genre. Go back to sports writing. Get busy on a political exposé - surely some politician in Michigan is up to no good. Or move to DC, where there's plenty of fodder for people who can string together a sentence or two. Churn out some other crappy, overly sentimental fiction that can appeal to sappy middle-aged women. But let's leave the heartwarming revisits to our past mistakes be - enough is enough.

Sincerely,

One Who Will Never, Ever Read One of Your Books Again

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's quite harsh. OBVIOUSLY people like his writing, me included or they wouldn't keep being best sellers.

R

Cindy said...

Aren't we fortunate to live somewhere where freedom of speech is celebrated? I'll just let you (anonymous poster) enjoy all the Mitch Albom books you like while I read something that appeals to me, and we'll all be happy. Though I have to say, just because something is a best seller doesn't make it good, just commercially successful. There's a difference.