Sunday, December 09, 2007

Date Night x 2

Two nights out with my husband - two in a row - is an unheard of luxury in our lives. We are, after all, the parents of three children. By choice, I might add - I knew, as much as any potential parent knows, what I was in for. I knew that we'd be spending more time at home, less time out, attending fewer splashy New Year's Eve events.

Which is OK by me - I love my girls and love spending time with them. However, I still enjoy some one-on-one time with my husband, time with uninterrupted conversation. And our girls are getting older, so the opportunities are less scarce. Friday night Sylvia left on a Brownie camping trip - two nights - and both Alison and Madeleine had babysitting jobs. Gary had just flown in from Europe, so he was tired. But we went to our local sushi bar for a bite. They had live music - tunes I recognized, like a little Steely Dan (some of which I can handle), Van Morrison, the Eagles - which was fun. Gary was really beat so we came home early. But it was to get out.

Yesterday we had the two older girls, so after Maddie got home from testing at noon, we did a little shopping. Alison and Maddie are both loaded these days, so they were excited to buy Christmas gifts. They each bought a little something for themselves, but they are both very generous with their sisters; it's very sweet. I took Gary to look at watches; didn't buy, but I at least know what he likes. I bought nothing for the girls, but I have some ideas.

I did not have dress shopping on my mind at all - I was really intending to wear something I already have to Gary's office party (at a restaurant this year, not the black-tie event of last year); the invitation said cocktail attire, and I have several dresses. But I decided to look in Macy's, and after weeding through what felt like hundreds of inappropriate dresses (too slinky, too short, too many sequins, too mother-of-the-bride, too strapless, too black, too frumpy ...) I turned the corner and was met with a plethora of options - from retro Maggie London to very classy Calvin Klein. Tried on a pile of them .... and most of them made me realize I no longer look the way I did when I was 25. I did, however, find two options that looked great; bought them both. One is just a black dress, but it fit so great I could not pass it up. It can go from daytime to evening, so I am set. The other, the party dress, is a shiny pewter fabric and looks quite flattering on me - no simple task these days.

As we were leaving I popped into Ann Taylor Loft, just to see what was there ... and I saw the perfect coat, a retro-looking dress coat, white with silver brocade. Over the pewter dress = perfection. A total impulse buy, but I did it. It is shorter than the dress, but I think it looks good that way (and the sales clerk absolutely guaranteed that it does). Camelia, ever helpful, also told me it can be appropriate for daytime. I was skeptical, then not moments later a woman walked through the store with glittery trim on her clearly daytime outfit - score one for Camelia. The coat can be worn out to dinner, to church, maybe even over a simple outfit during the day. So it's mine - and at 20 percent off, too. Picked up the matching silver clutch and a necklace.

At which point I had to leave the mall, but not before taking a peek into Ann Taylor, just to see. But I held onto myself and did not buy anything (though, as usual, the choices were tempting).

(I'm guessing by now that only Tammy, maybe Peter, are still reading ....)

Date Night No. 2: We (mostly me) decided to see Atonement - it's getting lots of buzz, and is just out, at River Oaks Theatre, the place to go for fun arty flicks (so much better than your basic multiplex - a real theater, in danger, naturally, of being leveled by the "progressives" here in Houston). Maddie was babysitting again, Alison had plans. We were to drop her off at a friend's. Around 10, she said. 10? What? Well, she said, I'll just go with you to see Atonement. We sorted it all out, agreed to take her with us. Then her friend called - could Alison come earlier? The little sneak - her friend wanted her to come over earlier, but she manipulated things because she wanted to see this movie - ! Not a big deal, but we could have eaten in River Oaks if we hadn't had to drive her over to Memorial. Grrrr. Ah well, next time we'll be doing things differently.

And Alison will NOT be driving - she scared the daylights out of me on I-10. Yeesh.

The movie, by the way, was good, but not quite as good as the hype. But I always enjoy a good English period drama, and this one did not disappoint. Though the "surprise" at the end did not exactly bowl me over. After the movie, we ate at the Red Onion - casual, but great food.

And Sunday still lies ahead - with all three girls at home. We've been missing the Sylvia.

Have a great day, all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You were right. I kept on reading.