Friday, December 07, 2007

The Christmas Quiz

It's the traditional get-to-know your friends Christmas Quiz, courtesy of my friend Tammy. Since I am too lazy to send this in e-mail form, I am posting the answers here. I'm pretty sure I did one last year, but maybe my answers have changed?

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Wrapping paper mostly, but the occasional gift bag. Some gifts from Santa are not wrapped - he is much too busy.
2. REAL OR FAKE TREE? Four trees, all fake. One is from the 60s, and it does not look remotely real. Then there's the Evergleam - my guess is no one thinks the shiny aluminum tree is real.
3. When do you put up the tree? The first or second week of the month - this year we did it on the 1st.
4. When do you take the tree down? No later than New Year's Day
5. Do you like eggnog? A beverage made with raw eggs? Um, no thank you.
6. Favorite gift received as a child? Hmmm ... hard to remember. I don't ever remember being disappointed. I do remember the year I got a set of play dishes, something I had wanted for a long time. I also remember the year my brother bought me an album he hated, but he knew I wanted it.
7. Do you have a nativity scene? One. My parents brought it to us from Bethlehem.
8. Hardest person to buy for? My parents or my in-laws - they buy for themselves everything they really want or need.
9. Easiest person to buy for? My daughters - they drop lots of hints. And it's easy to make them happy.
10. Worst Christmas gift you ever got? It's a toss-up: Tupperware, from Gary's aunt. I had asked for perfume. (Go ahead - try to make the connection.) Or embroidered pillowcases from another well-meaning relative. They are so not my style - has this person every noticed how my house is decorated? Obviously not. Oh well - what can you do? Smile and say Thank You. (Though I do use the Tupperware ...)
11. Mail or e-mail Christmas cards? Mail, but I'm not sure if I'm sending any this year.
12. Favorite Christmas Movie? It's A Wonderful Life, White Christmas - I'm always in the mood for a classic.
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? I wait until December - no need for Christmas to take over my life.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? You bet - and I have one sitting in my closet that I am dying to regift (but I'm waiting for just the right opportunity).
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Fondue - the girls can't wait.
16. Clear lights or colored on the tree? White lights on the big tree, red lights on the smaller tree, colored lights on the smallest tree, and no lights on the Evergleam.
17. Favorite Christmas song? That's a tough one ... maybe White Christmas. I really love all the secular holiday songs - Sleigh Ride, Baby It's Cold Outside, Santa Baby, Winter Wonderland, Let It Snow ... as for traditional songs, I like It Came Upon A MIdnight Clear, Lo How a Rose Ere Blooming, Carol of the Bells, and Sing We Now of Christmas, Once in Royal David's City. Least favorite: Little Drummer Boy - can't stand it.
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? I prefer to stay home.
19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeers? Sure can - poem or song.
20. Angel on the tree top or a star? Which tree?!? Star, choir boy, angel, and nothing
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Because Santa does not come til late at night, we have to wait until Christmas morning.
22. Where are your favorite places to shop? Not too picky - wherever my shopping takes me.
22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? Manufactured frenzy. Too much commercialization. Greedy people.
24. What I love most about Christmas? Creating memories with my children - the five of us together. Every year we get a gift that one of the girls has made, and they are always so proud. It is very sweet.

No comments: