Monday, December 17, 2007

Holiday rush

Loud. Crowded. Too much input.

That was the mall this weekend. We were there - Gary and I and all three girls. The girls went one way, Gary and I another. But we got very little shopping done - there was no way I was standing in those lines. I figured a weekday would suit me better.

Which it did. I started my morning at DSW (Designer Shoe Warehouse) - It is a full 25-minute drive, but some days, it is just worth it. Today would be one of those days - I decided I need new shoes for the big office bash tonight (Gary's office, not mine). I got a dress, matching coat, and I was, at first, content to wear old shoes. Upon further reflection, I decided it would look very bad for Gary if I wore old shoes with a new dress; I am thoughtful that way. DSW did not disappoint - I saw just what I wanted. I am hard to please: they had to be grey or silver; dressy, but not too high (I need to be able to walk and balance); and closed-toe - it might be chilly so I may want to wear pantyhose (something I rarely do, by the way) and I am in no mood for a pedicure. I found all of my requirements - and on the sale table, too.

The party tonight is cocktail attire, more casual than last year (black tie). It will be fine - they're his colleagues, not our friends - not the biggest social event of the year, but fun enough.

Made it to the mall, where the lines were mercifully short. Made purchases at four stores; took care of most of the shopping for the girls, my one and only niece. Still need to buy for my parents (but I know what I'm getting), the in-laws (no ideas; I have told Gary to let me know what I should get .... this is typical ....)

The rest of the week is very full: Tomorrow is our annual shopping day (Gary and I) where we shop (supposedly) and go out to lunch, spend the day together. Wednesday I must bake cookies for a cookie exchange; Thursday Alison goes to school late; Friday is a half day, and I'll be attending Sylvia's party.

Not sure where the cards fit in; they'll come sometime during the holiday season - Kwanzaa lasts until early January, so I'm good (!) On a brighter note, I found the Barenaked Ladies CD, so we can jam to Christmas/Hanukkah/Solstice music in the car - the girls love it, and I do, too - it is a pop-music multicultural musical extravaganza and always puts us in the holiday spirit. Nothing llike celebrating the diversity of the season!

On that note, may you celebrate the holiday that means the most to you, and in the words of Kinky Friedman, May the God of your choice bless you!

No comments: