Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Boo!

I remember when I was about 6 or 7, I dressed up as Wacky Witch for Halloween. No one remembers her, I'm guessing - she was a comic book witch - maybe even on TV on Saturday mornings. She wore orange clothes and had a green face, and I think she was friendly. This was back in the days of wearing those plastic masks and carrying plastic pumpkins. Mine was really small but my older brother's was huge. So my dad's coat pockets were full of candy as I tried to keep up with my brother - who was dressed as a devil. Another one of those dime-store costumes with a red plastic mask.

Our own house was the last stop. We would ring the doorbell and shout Trick or Treat - my mom would look surprised that it was us. When we came inside, we dumped our candy into giant bowls. My dad came through and took a piece from each of us. Then we would swap out the candy we didn't like with whatever my mom was handing out. We'd trade a bit, and we'd plan on carrying our lunch for the next few days so that we could pack candy for dessert.

I'm not sure Halloween is all that different these days for my own children. The decorations are more extravagant, but most of it is the same: carving jack o'lanterns, creating costumes, getting candy. And on a school night, no less.

It's always been one of my favorite times of the year. I can respect people who don't celebrate it - it's their choice, naturally. But I don't get it. Sure, Halloween has ancient Pagan ties. But so do other holidays - Christmas, Easter. Plus, my guess is that those who are anti-Pagan have no clue what Pagans really believe.

But part of me can't believe you would want to pass up this night of fun.

Happy Halloween!

No comments: