Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Checking off the list

The leaves are changing color, and the season is changing.

But not here in Houston. And for the first time, I am really missing fall.

I didn't think I would; I thought I'd be OK with summer all the time, no cold weather. But I'm not. I miss the cooler temps, the switch to sweaters, the smell of the cold mornings. Here it is still 90 and humid. I'm sick of all my shorts and sandals, and I'm tired of the hot air hitting me in the face.

I want to wear sweaters, sit at a football game and sip hot chocolate. I want to curl up in front of the fire, put on mittens, and enjoy cozy winter afternoons.

Sigh.

I've done a bunch of little things today. After a weekend - OK, the last entire week - of not doing anything significant, I am playing catch up.

So I called the eye doctor about contacts; turns out they did call ... or so the chart says. But I'm not the first one to say I never got a phone call and have the chart indicate otherwise. Called the pest control guy; called the AT&T support line. Went grocery shopping.

I'm hopping.

Tonight is the big meeting for those of us in the neighborhood who are interested to meet and try to figure out how to get our HOA to institute curbside recycling. For whatever reason, it was put to a vote of the residents (a survey was sent out, and they calculated the results that were returned - needless to say, the return rate was low, yet it only failed by a few votes). But nothing else is decided this way - the board votes. So why was recycling put to a community-wide vote? We don't get to vote on other issues or the way the board spends money. My guess is that board members do not want to go on record as opposing this.

Drives me flipping nuts. So we'll see what we can change. If anything.

This is my life, such as it is. Jealous?

No comments: