Tuesday, October 02, 2007

On technology, migraines and recycling

In the old days, I would have passed the time in the waiting room of the orthodontist with a book. Which I have on hand. But being a modern mom (not to mention a fun mom, a cool mom), I have other options: I can blog.

It's been a rough start to the week. Migraine started Sunday evening, which has rendered me virtually useless. But the world waits for no one, so onward I trudge. I got my prescription, so let's hope things clear up soon. I got some work done yesterday, but more awaits. Plus the kids. I've resigned the kids and husband to canned soup again tonight - not a problem for me, as I have no appetite. Maybe I have some good bread in the freezer; I can slice up some strawberries and we'll call it healthy eating.

My crazy subdivision is up in arms, once again, over - of all things - curbside recycling. In short, we don't have it; part of the neighborhood wants it, and an equally vocal group is against it. Frankly, I am stunned - we had curbside recycling in Peoria, IL, back in the early 90s, and you could hardly call Peoria a progressive kind of town. Here, the city of Houston has it, but since we live in unincorporated Harris County, our neighborhood would have to contract for it. But it would have to be the entire neighborhood - companies will not contract with individual houses. The reasons given, among others, are that people do not want their homeowners association fees to go up. Well, newsflash: They're going up anyway, probably a good 10 percent. Cost of recycling? About $3 a month.

And the nasty messages fly on the Yahoo group. You would not believe how vitriolic the discussion has gotten - a while ago I was interested in working for this cause, but when I saw how heated the discussion had gotten, and the name-calling that went on, I backed off - I am just not up for that right now. But others have started, and emotions are running high. Reasons to be against it? Our fees will go up. We don't want people spending our money for us. Those who want to recycle are free to do so (sure - by driving 15 miles or more down to Katy). Why should we all have to?

I do hope it passes - and yes, because it is a convenience, but also because it is the right thing to do. We collect cans, and there are drop-offs for paper/cardboard at the school. But it kills me to throw away glass - all of which is 100 percent recyclable - and plastics. And I would argue that I pay for a workout room, pool and tennis courts that I never use - it's OK, because they make the neighborhood a better place.

The neighborhood was polled last year; residents were asked to respond by post. About half the neighborhood sent in their ballots, and the measure barely lost. Those who worked for recycling wanted to poll the neighborhood with a face-to-face canvas, in order to get a more accurate count, but were told No.

Who would have thought that recycling would get people in such a snit? The board has said it will not revisit this issue again, but there are enough people who care and are being vocal that I think that may change. Though it may be tough - the board meets on weekdays (without pay, as they like to point out ... cry me a river - they all do it by choice, and we have more candidates than board seats open every year), which is not so convenient for those with other jobs. It seems like there is enough momentum to finally get this through; new residents seem to be stunned that we don't participate. Frankly, if I had known, I might not have moved here.

Yet another reason I am a suburban misfit. I knew when we moved here it wasn't forever; some days, frankly, that thought brings me great solace.

No comments: