Monday, October 22, 2007

Fall at last

The temperature dropped today. At 8 a.m. it was mid-70s; by 11, it was 57 degrees.

It was also rainy and windy - winds were gusting today up to 28 mph.

It was intense, grey and threatening. Yesterday the sun was shining and the air was muggy. What a difference a day makes.

I listen to the news all morning (though it's pledge week this week - bleah) so I knew the forecast; I knew to send my girls to school in jeans with sweatshirts. But I saw kids at the bus stop and other people today who clearly had no idea. It's tough when it changes so quickly with so little warning. Though I am stunned by how many people - not just here, but other places I've lived - do not read the paper, don't pay attention. How do they know what's going on?

I have stew in the crock pot, so it's like an actual fall evening here. Made myself some warm cider this afternoon. But I'm not expecting miracles - the weather will be warm again in the next few days. I'll just enjoy it while it lasts.

We've been successful with the recycling petitions - of those asked, more than 90 percent have said yes, they support adding curbside recycling, even for a fee. We've had a few no's, some from people who aren't interested, some who are ambivalent, and some from people who would do it but don't want to pay. But it shocks me when people are against it - who is against recycling? What kind of person opposes it? It is baffling.

The big presentation to the HOA is tomorrow. I have my outfit chosen - first things first - so I'm set. Oh - and I do know what I plan to say in the five-minute presentation. Wish us luck!

No comments: