Monday, October 15, 2007

Monday: The week begins

When we get some rain, we get a lot of rain.

This is how the rain operates here in Houston. We have either a dearth of rain or an excess - nothing here in moderation. So I was happy to cancel the eye doctor appointment this afternoon and just curl up with the girls. Glad I did, as there were flash floods all over and the freeways were a mess. It poured for the better part of three hours; last I checked, it was still coming down.

The vast amounts of concrete here contribute to the tendency for floods here. Chalk up yet another of Houston's charms.

Gary left on a business trip today. On the bright side, we are accumulating miles in anticipation of spring break, and flights to Europe help. (Plus he needs to maintain his Platinum status with Continental. Though we've noticed, here in Houston, EVERYBODY has platinum or gold status. And what is having special status when everyone has it? It doesn't really feel exclusive ... fortunately, at other airports we do ...) I noticed on the credit card bill today that Macy's gives double miles, as does CVS. I'll stop paying cash there, I guess.

On the down side, however, I am a single parent for the week. But it's kind of fun in a way - the girls and I get to hang out, eat what we like for dinner without someone putting the pressure on us to cook "real" meals and eat at the table - we sort of like to eat in front of the television, watch DWTS.

Let's just hope the girls behave all week. We're off to a good start - Maddie helped Sylvia with her math flash cards while I loaded the dishwasher and put the laundry in.

I sent in an invoice for a bunch of articles I wrote - it's sort of a big one. I know, I know, not that fascinating. But I have to find my joy where I can.

Trash goes out tonight. Which I must do, as the only adult around. I hope the rain has stopped.

No comments: