Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Surfin to Success

I could title this - yet again - something along the lines of Wow, I have so much to do, and so little time in which to do it.

But that doesn't exactly make me special - everyone is busy; everyone has stuff to do.

Yet it's no less true. I've added an additional project, and it is taking up much of my time. So when I'm done, I'll have more time to dink around. In the meantime, I'm busy with some ... stuff.

But before I sign off, let me leave you with this image:

Picture, if you will, an elementary school auditorium. It is designed for a maximum capacity of, say, 350 people. But there are 200 third-graders in the school ... you et the idea. Chairs are set up for about 350 people, and another 150 stand, lining the perimeter of the room. The 200 afore-mentioned third-graders take the stage, all outfitted in bright colors (my own third-grade participant had on a bright red dress and a brightly colored lei - a birthday party leftover favor). And we are entertained by the sound of the Beach Boys, but for the lyrics "Surfin USA" substitute instead, "Surfin to Success."

Ah, yes - butchered Beach Boys - as if they aren't unbearable enough in their original form?

And still, with all its campiness, the evening was charming. Botched music, too many people (they need to schedule one more than one performance), parents with cameras blocking the view - all those annoyances were canceled out by the delight on the face of my daughter. She was front and center - and we were there early enough to get good seats - with a huge smile on her face the entire time. She's been practicing the lyrics at home for weeks and was so proud to sing for us.

I won't be sitting through elementary school performances for too much longer - only two more years. There's plenty of time for me to be cynical. For now, I'll just relax and enjoy the childhood of my youngest daughter. Surfin' to Success, indeed - she is well on her way.

No comments: