Thursday, November 29, 2007

The excitement builds ....

I have spent much of the last two days figuring out our New Year's schedule and all the possibilities - namely, how will we manage traveling to a bowl game?!??

If Missouri wins Saturday, it's easy: We go to the BCS Bowl in New Orleans Jan. 7. If we lose, then it's all up in the air - we could end up at the Cotton Bowl, the Sugar Bowl, the Alamo Bowl (all doable), or at the Orange Bowl, Holiday Bowl or Fiesta Bowl (which really aren't - too far away). I've sent out some feelers to friends. If we go to the BCS Bowl, then my brother can't come. But if we end up in Dallas, then he and Barbara will drive down.

So, do I root for Missouri to win? Or to lose and end up at the Cotton Bowl, where we can meet up with John and Barb?

I know, I know - it's really not even a question. Much as we would love to hang out with John and Barb, I really want to go to New Orleans and vie for the national championship. But tickets may be hard to get ... John and I will talk Saturday night or Sunday after the game.

I got a remarkable amount done today - for me. Lately I am more than a little lazy. Hint for the day: Target is very un-crowded at 8 a.m. on a Thursday, even if it is in the weeks before Christmas.

I think I may forgo Christmas cards this year - I'm not feeling up to it. But I've been known to change my mind. I really love getting them, even those holiday newsletters that others find obnoxious. Of course people only write about the good stuff - what do you expect? A detailed treatise on the family's travails of the past year? Maybe the people who resent them are people who don't like to write or are not good writers. Or maybe it's envy. Or they are easily annoyed. Who knows ... I happen to love them. (And often write one of my own ... though I've made them shorter over the years - Gary's aunt writes one that is two full pages, and she could use a good editor; we don't really need to hear every detail of her bike riding trips ("... then on day two ...") I'm down to half a page, and I think it's long enough.)

In other excitement:

• Cleared some clothing out of my closet today. Prompting me to wonder whatever encouraged me to purchase these items in the first place.
• The closet is not noticeably emptier.
• I found my favorite peppermints at the grocery store yesterday - seemed worth noting.
• Have not figured out how to purchase replacement vacuum piece - my e-mails to the company have gone unanswered.
• Where is my check? For work finished weeks ago? I'm getting testy - those e-mails are also going unanswered.
• It's in the 70s again.
• My favorite TV shows are running out of new episodes. Give the writers what they want!

Must make the tennis lesson pick-up. Sigh. A mother's driving is never done.

No comments: