Friday, November 09, 2007

Youth Lust

Or: Yes, I watched The Osmonds on Oprah today - how about you?

I know, I know - I have a jillion things to do. But I could not resist weighing in. The Osmonds! And I was never a huge fan, even.

When I saw the promos, I knew I'd be tuning in - how could I pass up an hour of traveling back in time, watching Donny and Marie - and little Jimmy, too? Takes me right back to fourth grade - I have distinct memories of watching this show at a friend's house. Though my memories go back much further - I remember listening to Puppy Love on a 45 at my friend Debra's house in first or second grade, and I remember my friend Janet having a major crush on Donny (it must have been her post-David Cassidy phase).

Besides, who couldn't love those shots of the Osmond jumpsuits? The 70s. They were one happening decade.

And I have to give them credit - they seem like a nice family. You only get to see the public side, but still. And Donny has aged well - he looks better now, at 49 (!) than he did as a teenager. (And he wore a purple shirt -!)

But. I'm not really one to lust after my lost youth. First of all, it isn't lost just yet - I feel fairly young, and the parent of one of Alison's friends told me, at pick-up one night, that I looked like one of the students (flattery will get you everywhere, sir ...) And secondly, I live in the present. And for the most part, things today are pretty good. Or they could be worse, anyway.

None the less, it is always fun to revisit parts of my youth. It's a little surreal to watch it through the filter of time - and I have to gently remind my giggling children that they, too, will have this experience - all those clothing styles they love will, one day, look equally dated. Trust me.

I have equally fond feelings for most TV shows I watched all those years ago: That Girl. Batman. Partridge Family. Brady Bunch. What's Happening. Maybe because it's like watching your childhood - we weren't armed with round-the-clock video surveillance, so watching those shows is like taking a step back in time. Or perhaps because it takes me back to a simpler time - a time when life was easy, when my only worries were which friend to call, which game to play. No job, no bills, no real responsibilities.

I wouldn't trade places, mind you - no need to return to the days of track shorts and tube socks, feathered hair and shag carpet. But it's fun to take a peek.

This is the second time this week I've watched Oprah - probably the second time this year. I had to check out yesterday's show where she covered dressing for the ages. As with most makeover shows, those women looked fantastic with some fashion advice. I had to laugh with - not at - one woman, who was wearing clothes she had had for years. I laughed because I recognized every outfit they showed as something I would have worn in 1990. (And I confess, guiltily, a few of those items still hang in my closet ... unworn, but they're there ... ) One woman, who was in her 60s, looked amazing in her before shots - maybe the tops were a little low and the pants a little tight, but she could get away with it. I hope I look that amazing at 60.

But really, I'm OK with the age I am. It's great to be 29 ...

No comments: