Monday, April 02, 2007

Brand-new me

First, a confession: Yes, I did watch biography of The Partridge Family the other night - thus the title of this post.

But I couldn't help it. Come on, if you're part of my generation, David Cassidy was a hottie. My brother had one of their albums (the first one - I Think I Love You!). Not only did I watch that show first-run, but I reveled in those reruns for years. Brady Bunch, Star Trek, Gilligan's Island, Daktari, this is what we watched after school (along with Underdog, Tennessee Tuxedo, and Bullwinkle and Rocky). My kids come home to Oprah and Dr. Phil. Sigh.

We had a nice weekend. Gary came home and we had a nice weekend. Heavy rains Saturday canceled the soccer games, so while Sylvia went to the movies with a friend, I took the other two clothes shopping.

I am officially old: I do not understand teenage fashion. My girls want to shop at Abercrombie, Aeropostale, American Eagle, Hollister. Those places are so loud they make my head spin. But, being the tolerant mom, I am patient; I endure.

The girls want to dress exactly like everyone else. I'm sure I was the same way.

I think I'm coming out of my funk of the last several weeks, the mini-depression that set in after my job went up in flames. Now that I have some distance, and some perspective, I've decided that I can deal. I've been doing some freelance work, and I finally decided the other day not to pursue anything more. I'll work a bit, stay current, and spend time with the girls. I'll enjoy my house, swim, travel. I am just going to settle down. I have friends - most of them are just not here. So I am just going to relax ...

With my new philosophy, the pressure's off. I feel at last as if my fate is in my own hands. It feels good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Darnit! How'd I miss the Partridge Family bio?! I even have my David Cassidy albums framed and on the wall (Steve calls them my "boys of summer" wall since I have Bobby Sherman too).

Enjoy your relaxation. As I fought a major problem with my latest piece today I thought about how I should sit out a semester and take it easy. Maybe even get a part-time job. I don't know. One minute I want to work really hard to be a great metalsmith and the next minute I'm whining I need a vacation. Maybe just a change of venue.

Cindy said...

And it was good, too - explaining all those *mysteries* of the series (such as, how did it stay on the air?!?). I distinctly remember my friend Janet A. and I swoooooning over him. We must have been in second grade - ah, memories. I seem to recall a thing for his younger half-brother, as well.