Wednesday, April 25, 2007

In the news

First things first: Rosie is leaving The View. And I am sad.

To be honest, that show struck me, at first, as somewhat banal. The level of banter was less than inspiring. I had always liked Meredith Viera on 60 Minutes, but here, she looked like an idiot. And that Debbie Metanopolous? What an airhead. This was back in, what, 97? I watched once, and it was enough.

So ... fast forward to February 2007, where we were living in temporary housing in Houston. With nothing to do, I got sucked into daytime TV. And it continued when we moved and I spent days unpacking. Then came the Star Jones debacle, and I was hooked.

I've always like Rosie O'Donnell. I liked her daytime show, though I did grow tired of her schtick with "my Tommy." Gag - even then street talk was that she was a lesbian, and to see her mooning over Tom Cruise - not my favorite - was nauseating. Then she left the show, went radical, got *the* haircut, and I liked her again. (I admire a rebel.)

Having her on The View has been fun. Yes, she's outspoken and controversial. But without her, the others would be boring. Barbara is OK, but mild and ever the peace maker - she won't take a stand, because of her position with ABC, which is fine. Joy Behar is sort of dull, and Elisabeth Hasselbeck? An idiot. And not because she is conservative, either - I have seen times when Bill O'Reilly sounds intelligent and I will give him credit. George Will can make a sound argument. Hasselbeck gets riled at the merest suggestion that the GOP os out of line, and everyday she seems to simply repeat what she heard on Fox News the previous evening.

So Rosie has brought all the excitement. Sigh. Not sure I'll continue watching. Thanks, Rosie - it's been fun.

****

John McCain is running for president. Who knew?

****

Katie Couric may be in trouble. Her newscasts are losing viewers. And you know what? Told you so! I'm not a big fan. On the Today show, she, too, seemed like an idiot. I watched her do some of the stupidest interviews ever - though I turned off Today long ago, her star power grew and she turned up everywhere. I saw her interview JK Rowling when HP No. 5 came out, and she asked questions that were embarrassing - had I been Rowling, I would have been livid.

I have, however, watched her on CBS. It's habit - I grew up with Walter Cronkite, and I have not been able to switch. And I wanted to give a woman a chance. But should she go, I won't be too sorry. Bring back Bob Schieffer - him, I liked. I read today that Couric has acted like a *star* at CBS, has been patronizing to others. Hmmm. Time to go?

****

Good riddance to Heather Mills. The girls were asking last night why she is famous. Because she is ex-Mrs. McCartney, that's why. Charity campaigner? Please. Estranged wife should be her title. She wasn't even the worst dancer, but this is what happens when you screw over the cute Beatle.

****

Could someone explain to me just what Paula Abdul adds to American Idol? She mimics everything Randy Jackson says. My god, the woman does not have an original thought in her head. Other shows rotate who goes first, but they wouldn't dare let her comment first on AI - she would have nothing to say, and they would have to deal with an awkward and embarrassing mumbling as she tried to express her vacant mind. She looks stoned, or drunk, or both. Let's vote her off.

Some nights, I swear I do not hear what the judges hear. Jordin was FLAT last night! Blake did a nice job (nice song choice), and Melinda and Lakisha were fine. But Phil? Chris? Please. But Lakisha could go, even though it should be Phil or Chris.

****

Rant over. Bye!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm just now catching up on my blog reading and am enjoying yours immensely. I can just hear you saying all this and it makes me smile. Why? Well, I don't know exactly, but you having a rant is amusing to me. I had no idea Rosie was leaving The View. I can't agree with you about liking her, but she's ok. I really don't have an opinion on her to tell the truth. She's just another annoying celebrity.

Katie Couric in trouble? Who could have seen that one coming?! I'm not a fan of hers either, but I didn't dislike her enough to quit watching the Today show. Actually, being unemployed gave me time to watch every morning. I find it ok, but nothing I'm too upset about missing. I do like the style and home pieces they have, but the news gets tired after a while. Plus, I don't need a weather update every 10 minutes. Our local meteorologist is very annoying.

I agree it was time for Heather Mills to go. She's not a celebrity! She's a home wrecker! I've disliked her since day one. How dare she screw over Paul and snub his family. She didn't even have Stella design her wedding dress. Bitch. (Heather not Stella)

Paula Abdul is a flake. Plain and simple. She has about as much common sense as a rock.

Ok, reply rant over!

Anonymous said...

I think you nailed it with Paula. I think she is always drunk. Her comments are so ridiculous, but Randy's aren't much better. "C'mon Dawg, Yo Dawg; I want to hear some more Yo in that song, Dawg." I mean, that is really not very helpful feedback.

Katie Couric? I was skeptical that it would be a success. It is just not her gig. CBS tried to be too "out there" on this one. They should have stayed with Bob Shieffer. He is very good.

Lastly, Rosie. I like Rosie and think she was a good addition to the View. The ratings on that show are the highest they have ever been. I have to say, though, I won't miss all the evening cable news shows talking about her comments. I really don't understand why "her" comments warrant so much discussion. It baffles the mind. If people didn't like her, they wouldn't watch the show. But they do. So, best of luck to her. And, by the way, I am not buying Barbara Walters comment, "I wasn't involved in the negotiations." That's bull. She owns part of the show.

How about the democratic debate last night. Kinda boring. No one made any cracks at each other. Everyone was civil. What has happened to the political process? Stay Tuned.