Thursday, January 11, 2007

Name that tune

Today in the car, I flipped through the presets. I had my choice of: Harry Nilsson, Everybody's Talkin'; The Clash, Rock the Casbah; or J. Geils Band, Angel is the Centerfold. Three songs I like - amazing. Which would you choose? I'll reveal my choice at the end of the post ...

First, to explain: The Clash is the the Clash, very cool, even if they did get Top 40 play in the mid-80s. J Geils Band? Yea, I know, but they remind me of high school. We had a dance one year with the theme Angel is the Centerfold and each class had to elect their class Angel. I was chosen by my class; though it might have been meant as a joke ... and Harry Nilsson has his moments, even if he is a little early 70s smooth.

If I get tired of classical in the car, and it's too early for All Things Considered, and I don't have the energy to change the CDs, I listen to one of three oldies stations. "Oldies" now translates to "music I heard when I was in high school." I change the dial for the following, no exceptions: Air Supply, REO Speedwagon, Beach Boys, Phil Collins, Supertramp, post-1980 Chicago, Styx, Journey, Foreigner, any heavy metal. And the Rolling Stones. I know, I know - don't yell. Gary loves them, too. I don't hate them, just not usually in the mood. I'm sure there are others, but those spring immediately to mind.

Certain songs always make me smile; they evoke a mood, a memory. None of these springs immediately to mind; I guess I have to hear them, spontaneously, to remember. Though I do remember hearing - inexplicably - Martin Briley's Salt in My Tears in St. Louis one time - that's a song I never get to hear. Didn't get much airplay at the same either, though it should have.

I always crank up Steve Miller Band, Tom Petty, and Boston. Not sure why. The Police, Bruce Springsteen, and U2, but I do know why. Most other stuff I liked doesn't quite make the oldies lists (Elvis Costello, Squeeze, Smiths, Aztec Camera, Game Theory, They Might be Giants, Nick Lowe, Dave Edmunds, Beat Rodeo, Billy Bragg, Lone Justice, Violent Femmes ... that college/alternative sound of the mid-80s).

I'm getting old. Damn.

And the answer? I chose the Clash, of course. Wouldn't you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Clash, of course. I love that song. With regard to your list of groups you don't listen to on the radio, I agree with all except the Rolling Stones and, dare I say, Air Supply. I just like their totally 70s sound. Right now I just bought the new Red Hot Chili Peppers CD. It is awesome. They are becoming one of my favorite bands. I have found my musical tastes are so varied based on my mood. If you look at my musical collection, it has no "rhyme or reason." But it is all good. See ya.

Anonymous said...

Yes, The Clash is the perfect choice, although I do love Nilsson.

I remember the year you were elected our class centerfold! Wasn't Karla the centerfold for her class? You were in good company. I think I went to that dance with Todd McMillan. Who did you go with?