Saturday, January 06, 2007

Messy rooms, fighting kids

How I hate when the weekend turns into a struggle over the state of the kids' rooms. But it must be so. I have to resort to withholding of allowances; nothing motivates these girls like cash. And I hate to be all controlling, but it is my house. And I really can't stand the mess. I secretly (well, not that secretly) want the house to look perfect all the time. But do I really have the energy to maintain that look? That, my friends, is the $64 million question (inflation hits everywhere, cichés included).

It's a goal, though a rather unattainable one. Yet I persevere. So now I am off to the hardware store, to peruse paint colors, and to Bed, Bath & Beyond, to look beyond.

Just finished the book Say When by Elizabeth Berg; wouldn't recommend it. Not terrible, just slightly predictable. It takes you on a long meandering journey to nowhere. Give it a pass.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You could always resort to the fining system my mom used when I was a kid. Fines were based on size of the chore or what would result if it didn't get done (say, forgetting to lock up bikes at the end of the day). Mom kept track of the fines on the calendar so we could see how much money we were losing throughout the week.

I hated it, but admit I'd use it today if I had kids.