Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The ice storm cometh

No school today. The big storm, slated for yesterday, hit today. The girls were all geared up to be home yesterday, and I kept warning them, you may have school. I slept badly Monday night, waiting to hear the rain and ice. Nothing. Got up around 4 a.m, looked outside, and the pavement was dry.

So they delayed the ice til this morning. It was tough to get the girls in bed (Gary's birthday was last night, so we ate out, had cake, opened gifts) so I was worried they would all be pooped today. But their dreams came true, and school was canceled.

Consequently it is 11 a.m. and I am still in my pajamas.

On second thought, I'm wondering how this is any different than a normal day ...

We're just hanging out, not doing much. If I can get my act together, then I'll work on painting Sylvia's cabinet. Or I can do laundry. Or read my book.

I kind of like a surprise day off in the middle of the week. Though it does crack me up, this Texas reaction to what amounts to a very small bit of ice. In the midwest, where I'm from, all systems would be go. Here, we are in major panic mode. The TV news shows six reporters stationed all over the greater Houston area, ready to pounce on each bit of reportable "news." The grocery shelves are empty as if Armageddon were on its way. Makes me snicker.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cindy - first of all, I love reading your blog and read it several times a week. Had to laugh at the comments about the ice storm since Springfield has been under a major siege since last Friday night. Tammy and Steve are still without power (approaching 120 hours) and ours just came back on after 72 hours - no heat, no water thanks to a well that's powered by electricity. Worst I've seen in Springfield in the 40+ years I've been here. Quite an adventure and you learn to appreciate small things like a hot shower and a Coleman lantern that makes it possible to read! Hope your storm passes soon - I'm sure your daughters aren't used to snow/ice days in Houston!