Friday, March 06, 2009

The fabulous, and the not so fabulous

Today, I have a headache. My back hurts. And did I mention that I had a terrible time sleeping last night? Lay awake for hours? (Literally - from midnight til 2 a.m. Dreadful.)

That sort of sums up my day. Last two days, to be exact. Yesterday was sort of hellish, for a variety of reasons. I'll spare you the details, but I was on the verge of a panic attack every hour or so, hyper-ventilating and overcome with brief terrors.

It's better today. Perhaps because today I had to pull myself together and get in gear - meetings had to be attended, things had to get done, passive voice had to be used. (In J School, passive voice was such a no-no - good thing none of my professors reads this, huh?)

I am feeling better, too, because I was able to take a nap this afternoon, getting back one of my precious lost hours of sleep from last night.

It has turned warmer outside - the day is glorious. It is warmer outside than in my house, a common phenomenon at this time of year. I went for a nice long walk yesterday with my BFF - the one who has the job that uses up all her play time, leaving with me with only dregs and crumbs. Thanks goodness this is a school-year-only job situation and that I can be patient - we'll have hours and hours poolside this summer to catch up. I look forward to that.

We have a nearly completed brand-new slate floor in our addition. It looks stunning - truly stunning. Gale, my contractor, is not convinced of just how lovely it is. But John, one of his employees, is on my side - he loves it. Of course, John also loved Maddie's wall color - perhaps he and I are simply on the same decorating wavelength. John's parents have some sort of Mexican tile in their house, the kind that is handmade and lies in the sun to dry, thus accumulating tiny bird foot prints in the tile. Sounds very cool. He understands just how very beautiful our natural slate tiles are, how the variations in color are eye-catching, how the look will go with whatever wall color we choose.

I assured Gale that when we are done, he will understand just how splendid it is. And that his name will be all over it - everyone will know who is responsible for our fabulous floors.

So I should get used to laying them? he quipped. Funny guy.

All right. Must move on - so much to do, so much I haven't done.

No comments: