Thursday, March 12, 2009

Demolition Day

It's going to be a stressful few weeks around these parts. We may be hitting our limit: We are officially relegated to our temporary kitchen, i.e. the dining room.

It's demolition day here at our house - the old kitchen is coming out as I write.

I am not sorry to see it go. I've mentioned this before (because really, do I talk of anything else?). But I am mostly bidding good bye to a pile of non-working appliances, outdated cabinets, and worn-out flooring.

And it is good riddance, indeed.

So, today I bid a farewell to this:






This shot shows the size of our old kitchen - the behemoth of an island usurping what little floorspace is in the middle of the room. Must remember that this kitchen was originally built at a time when people did not have a lot of dishes, utensils or appliances. Or, more importantly, at a time when the owner of a house like ours (it's a pretty big house, and, when built, would have been the home of folks with money) did not deign to cook for herself. At the very least, she would have had some help. Which explains the servant's bedroom in the attic and the back staircase.

(Sadly, no household help was included with the purchase of the house - I am on my own.)


Here, the wall is gone! John and Gale are shown here dismantling the giant island, leaving what now feels like an inordinate amount of floor space. It's all in what you're used to.



You can see back into the new area (which is essentially done, lacking only some trim and tile grout). The new bathroom is functional (though lacking a window blind - probably need that, and soon). We've installed a laundry sink, as that will be our makeshift kitchen.

I would post a photo of my dining room, but I don't think I'm up for it - it is filled with boxes of dishes, boxes of food, our microwave, necessary appliances (coffee maker, toaster, refrigerator). And it is a giant mess. We are going to be on the edge of madness around here, I'm thinking - we still have to eat, and we cannot possibly eat out all the time.

I can feel my stress level creeping up even higher ... and I was already at a preternaturally high stress level to begin with.

It's all for the greater good - I can tell that Sylvia finds this all to be an adventure. I suppose we will look back someday with great fondness, full of thigh-slapping exploits of the giant remodeling of '08-'09.

In that spirit, let the games begin. But I'm quietly counting the days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting the pics. I'm so excited for you guys, but soooo glad that OUR kitchen project is now over. Get ready for an adventure -- you'll love it when it's done. Kaye M.

Anonymous said...

I think I can actually feel your stress through this post. I do not envy you this project at all, but I know it will be worth it in the end. I shudder just to think of removing the tile from our fireplace. Clearly, I'm not one to tackle home improvement projects! Have fun and keep us posted with pictures.