Monday, May 05, 2008

Rainy Days and Mondays

Here in the greater Houston metropolitan area, we are getting a double dose. We have the Monday; we have the rainy day.

As usual, it's not just rain - it's a torrential downpour. And in Houston, that means flooding. When your city has no zoning ordinances (it's true) and appears to about one-third concrete with very poor drainage, flooding is the consequent result. If you drive the freeways, the underpasses are danger zones, with water reaching two-three feet after just a few minutes of rain.

So I left the house in the rain, came home three hours later in the rain. I chose my shoes wisely, but my pant legs were wet clear up to my knees - it was a day when an umbrella or even a rain jacket could only do so much. Plus I had to wade through three to four inches of water on low-lying sidewalks.

It was only sprinkling when the girls came home from school, so I figured they could handle the walk from the corner (we actually live on the corner where the bus lets them out). But my neighbor actually drove to pick up her kids; they live three houses from the bus stop. She drove her car about 250 feet to pick up her children.

Insanity.

The rest of the week should be nice and sunny - 90 by the weekend. Which means swimming weather. Bring it on!

No comments: