Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

I've always liked Mother's Day. Perhaps because it feels like an exclusive club - though in reality it's not that exclusive. Or maybe it's because it gives me a day to focus on why I chose this path, and why I dedicate so much of my life to rearing my daughters. Whatever the reason, it's a day I always treasure.

Most of the joy comes from how I spend the day with my three girls. In years past I've been given various home-made and school-created gifts, which I've always enjoyed; sitting on the windowsill in my office are no less than five small flower pots decorated with pastel-colored paintings, foam shapes, and jewels, filled with tissue-paper flowers. I've received homemade cards, various craft projects, and coupon books. This year I received none of these items, but I did get a bouquet of flowers, a lovely card, and two CDs that I am thrilled to have - Daughtry and the newest Elvis Costello. (I have probably ruined Daughtry for the girls since I like it, but that's what you get for having a mother that's still hip, huh?)

And I was treated to an afternoon of bowling (135 - not bad, not bad - especially since my last bowling was on the Wii) and lunch at Joe's Crab Shack, where we sat outside on the patio in the 75-degree day - perfect.

My husband has always made sure Mother's Day was an event. When Alison was a few months old, he had her make a handprint painting for me (which I still have); each year he has made sure the girls have not forgotten. One year they made me an Oklahoma! themed dinner, with all menu items named after songs from the musical; another year he and the girls re-created Sardi's for me, finding the menu on the Internet and making select items for me (they actually printed up the entire menu, but strongly urged me to order only the items the chef was recommending that evening).

It's no small task, this job of being a parent. Every day of my life, I feel as if there is something I could have done better, might have done differently; I have made mistakes I'm not proud of. But I am proud of my three girls and how they've turned out despite my shortcomings - they are bright, eager, and full of life. They have (so far) made good choices, and I am proud of how they think for themselves. I am delighted to see them turn into responsible adults. I can only take credit for part of this miracle - there is such a combination of factors that have played into who they are, from genetics to the influence of their father and other family members, wonderful teachers they've had, friends and noteworthy public figures.

But I will take some of the credit for the amazing girls my husband and I have given the world. It has been, and continues to be, a privilege to watch them take their place in the world. Their greatest gift is the gift they give me every day, the gift of who they are. And for that, I am eternally grateful and humble.

No comments: