Thursday, February 01, 2007

Welcome to February

Winter in Houston must mean rain. The days are grey, the weather is dreary.

But it's really not all that bad, not in the way that bone-numbing cold is. I'm from the Midwest, and we're a hearty stock. We're used to temps in the single digits, those days when the cold and wind are so sharp that it takes your breath away. I grew up this way; i can handle it. But I don't miss it. It will be 50 today, and that is a chilly day. It's cool enough for me to wear my sweaters and haul out the leather jackets, cool enough to enjoy a hot beverage and using the fireplace. But I don't have to wear gloves, and my children wear hoodies instead of jackets, much less coats. I held onto my dress coat, but if we stay here long-term, I'm not sure I want to dedicate the space (closet space being a valuable commodity ... and if you saw how big our closet is, and even heard the suggestion that it isn't big enough, you would be horrified ...)

We began the month by getting up early early early (before 6 - that is early for me) to attend Maddie's honor roll breakfast (which consisted of: donuts AND donut holes - what happened to healthy eating? Blech). It was nice - not so much the food, but the idea that they had it, and that all her friends were there, and we were both there. I like her to know that we care. At the high school they do nothing for honor roll kids; too bad, because they need some recognition, too.

Little Sylvia was a grouch; she doesn't usually get up until 7, but today she had to go next door at 7, so she was up around 20 til. She was in a snit because the sweatpants she wanted to wear were not clean (she wore them Tuesday, and the other pair yesterday). But I had all her Brownie stuff together, got her breakfast, her toothbrush, and her friend next door was excited to have her. (When I told her and Isabelle on Tuesday that Sylvia would go over there and catch the bus with Isabelle on Thursday, Isabelle said, you might want to call my mom and tell her - funny girls!). But Sylvie was better when Gary dropped her off.

Gary is off to Denver on a quickie trip, some business this and that. I would move to Denver in a minute, but I didn't tell him that; don't need him to appear over-eager in the meeting (!). Then I would definitely need my coat.

Snippy e-mails from my boss. However, to balance that out, I got a freelance recommendation. I think I can handle the karma trade-off.

So here I am, trying to decide whether to go to the movies today, or get my writing clips in order. Tough call ... seriously.

Ugly Betty tonight - a new one. Wheee. And Gary is gone, so it's girls' night, which I love. Girls Inc. has Ugly Betty t-shirts; I may order them for the girls for Valentines Day. Gary may have a business trip, so I'll be without a Valentine. Not the first time since I've known him, but for the most part, I've had a Valentine every year since 1985, and it will be sad to not have him here.

He'll owe me. Big time.

And February is off to a rockin' start.

No comments: