Monday, February 05, 2007

Random on Monday

I finally - finally - made it to the post office today, to mail some odd-sized envelopes. Nothing pressing, just on the list of things to do. The line is always so lo-o-ong. And it's not as if no one is working; they had four windows open. You have to wonder what some of those people are doing there. As I was leaving I overheard some woman say to her son: This won't take long. So I leaned over and said, Don't mislead him.

It is sunny and nearly 70 today. Lifts my spirits. On Friday the teacher told me they've been staying in for recess because it's so cold out. Cold? IT WAS 50! Good grief - these people wouldn't last 10 minutes in the midwest.

And the Colts won the Superbowl - yippee! Though I'm not that into it and don't really care. I watched the ending, the awarding of the trophies. I like Tony Dungy, but I didn't like that he said the Colts won by the grace of God or something like that. What does that mean, anyway? Did the players pray harder? The fans? Or does God play favorites and doesn't like the Bears? I find comments like that insulting and I think they belie the true purpose of religion.

Caught part of School Ties on TV today - I love that movie. I like Brendan Frasier, like those prep-school-in-the-50s movies, like Dead Poets Society. But not that stupid one with Julia Roberts, Mona Lisa Smile. It was stupid.

My Land's End order arrived today. This is what we get for purchasing beds in Germany: an obligation to special-order bed sheets. Not convenient.

That's the excitment around here today. Only nine days til Valentine's Day! Will you be mine?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, how weird is this? I watched School Ties this weekend, too. I like that movie and it really isn't on that much. I have one of those Starz/Encore packages and it was on Saturday evening and I just got into it. However, I will have to disagree with you on Mona Lisa Smiles. I enjoyed that movie, only because I was expecting the worst and it actually entertained me.

Anyway, now with the superbowl. I watched the game and enjoyed it, along with the halftime show. Some of the commercials were amusing. But, I have to agree with you on the whole God thing at the trophy presentation. It is such an inappropriate time to invoke religion. I agree that if God favored them, then He must not like the Bears. I get really annoyed by comments like that. I didn't remember Tony Dungy saying, it but the owner of the colts seemed to go on and on about it. Not appropriate at all.

Keep that blogging coming. You were on a dry spell for awhile. Oh, and by the way, it was 7 degrees here this morning. I'm moving south.