Thursday, September 14, 2006

Good parenting?

I'm working this morning, transcribing the tape of an interview. (This reminds me of why I am not big on using tape recorders for interviews; the net gain is generally not worth the extra effort.)

Then, around 11, I'm heading off to have lunch with Sylvia. She will be so excited ... though I have to confess, it's not out of sheer generosity. Naturally I am looking forward to eating with my daughter, making her feel special for having her mother at school. But the real reason I admit with a bit of chagrin: I was so busy filling out the forms for the wrapping paper order (stupid, stupid school fund-raisers) this morning that I forgot to pack her lunch.

However, Sylvia was pleased because she helped me choose which three over-priced rolls of paper we would order. I chose the cute snowmen with candy canes and the red and green that looks like 1959-vintage paper with ornaments. Sylvia and Maddie chose an all-occasion paper in brown, white, and blue; a little dull by my standards, but it made them happy to have a say.

But now, the real reason we were filling out the forms this morning? Because I was too tired last night. I had the choice, after the girls were in bed, to curl up with a book or fill out the fund-raiser order form.

I ask, which would you choose?

Ultimately my punishment is that I have to go eat lunch with my daughter ... would that all my foibles turned out this way.

No comments: