Friday, September 01, 2006

A Friday of possibilities

Today was off to a less auspicious start than yesterday, when the high school bus was a no-show. I'm forever indebted to the anonymous neighbor (Morgan's mom?) who saved me by offering Alison a ride. Though I was scrambling to get Sylvia dressed and send her next door with her breakfast so she could catch her bus while I gave Alison a ride — a fact which I hope Alison pointed out to the neighbor who does not know me. I do try, really, I do!

Yet I'm totally lazy. It's not as if I've accomplished nothing today — I've read my e-mail, work-related and personal. I'm getting responses to the many press releases I've sent out promoting beautiful, upscale Cy-Fair Magazine. I finished my novel. Well, novella, Summer Crossing by Truman Capote. Which has edified for me that yes, too many semicolons and colons are, in fact, distracting.

But I'm moving slowly today. The benefits of working at home.

I had a leisurely morning while I read yesterday's paper. Who says that ding dongs aren't a breakfast food? You know, I'd be horrified if i caught one of the girls eating like that. Yet in my morally ambiguous approach to parenthood, all rules change when you're the mommy. As I've often said, once their name is on the mortgage and they pay the bills, they are welcome to make the rules. Plus, what they don't know can't be held against me (!).

Library books to return, floors to vacuum, kitchen to tidy, sheets to fold and put away. A tribute to the mundane. Which has led me to decide that our budget certainly can support a twice-monthly housekeeper. As I explained to Gary, if I am happy, then, by default, everyone will be happier. His response: The girls would probably be willing to sacrifice their allowance in support.

A psycho mom, every child's dream. My goal each day is to make sure that doesn't happen ... admittedly, some days are better than others.

Alison is off to Baton Rouge tonight, and Maddie and Sylvia are going on an overnight. What to do: Dinner? Movie? Dancing? The sky's the limit, and downtown Houston is a mere 25 miles away.

The evening awaits ...

No comments: