Wednesday, September 06, 2006

All About Me

Slow day here in the 'hood, so it's time for fun facts — more than you ever wanted to know about me:

99. I have three daughters.
98. I always thought I wanted four children. Reality won out.
97. I am married to my college sweetheart. We met when I was 18.
96. We have a dog. She and I are not close.
95. This house — brand-new — is the only house we've owned that was built after 1920.
94. Yet I love it.
93. I love to read.
92. My favorite authors include (but are not limited to): F. Scott Fitzgerald, Edith Wharton, Margaret Atwood, and Jane Austen.
91. My favorite writers include (but again, are not limited to): Maureen Dowd, Anna Quindlen, Michael Kinsley, and Thomas Friedman.
90. I love to cook, but I hate to fix dinner every night.
89. I love to shop, but not for groceries.
88. We have a huge, huge bedroom closet. And my part is nearly full.
87. I haven't worn panty hose since ... can't even remember.
86. I like to go out to lunch.
85. I also like to go out to dinner.
84. Snakes, bugs, rodents, and bats really creep me out.
83. I love my part-time job.
82. But I wish I got out of the house more.
81. LIke all women, I love chocolate.
80. Especially the dark kind.
79. I love to watch reruns of MASH, but only with McLean Stevenson and Wayne Rogers.
78. I like Stephen Colbert better than Jon Stewart.
77. I love plants, but I am a lousy gardener.
76. My favorite stores include Williams Sonoma, Restoration Hardware, Ann Taylor, IKEA, and Target.
75. Among my prized possessions is a set of the Young Folks Shelf of Books, circa 1960.
74. I've lived in five states and Europe.
73. But I've never been to the Grand Canyon.
72. I didn't go to Disneyworld until I was 36.
71. And I don't care to ever return.
71. I love to play darts.
69. And I'm not too bad.
68. I also love to bowl.
67. And, again, I'm not that bad.
66. I even own my own shoes and ball.
65. My daughter was born on my great-grandmother's 101st birthday.
64. I never get tired of watching When Harry Met Sally and You've Got Mail.
63. I cry every time they meet in the park.
62. And I cry every time Charlotte dies in Charlotte's Web.
61. I never miss The Office.
60. Or Everybody Hates Chris
59. Can't stand Kirstie Alley.
58. Or Brooke Shields.
57. Or Kathie Lee Gifford.
56. Or Joan Rivers.
55. Since moving to Houston, I've become a fan of The View.
54. And since I love Rosie O'Donnell, I love it more.
53. Though I miss Star Jones (go figure).
52. Elisabeth Hasselbeck is an idiot, but she deserves to have her say.
51. I've marched on Washington. Twice.
50. I'm a die-hard liberal.
49. Yet I respect many Republicans whom I know personally.
48. And I am considering — only considering! — voting for Kinky Friedman.
47. But I'm still thinking about it.
46. I paid a small fortune to take my kids to see The Producers on Broadway with Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick.
45. I am still in touch with my best friend from fourth grade and my best friend from age 40.
44. And my favorite male friend from college.
43. We talk every month or so.
42. I refuse to drink diet soft drinks.
41. Or eat fat-free food.
40. This could explain a lot.
39. I've never been snow-skiing.
38. Or snorkeling.
37. I've never been to Las Vegas.
36. But I've been to Paris four times.
35. I love sushi.
34. I hate beer, but I love red wine.
33. And champagne.
32. I love to play trivia at bars.
31. And I love to win.
30. I love to play board games.
29. And I love to win.
28. I am very competitive.
27. I have read more books than I care to count since moving.
26. But that's more of an embarrassing stigma than an accomplishment.
25. My favorite classic Hollywood stars are Jimmy Stewart and Grace Kelly.
24. I stay up to watch the Oscars every year.
23. I have three brothers. I am the second eldest.
22. I am close friends with all of them.
21. All of my cousins are boys.
20. Yet I have three daughters.
19. I can speak German. Though not very well.
18. I love to sing karaoke.
17. I drive a Chrysler minivan.
16. But I'd much rather be driving a Mustang.
15. I love having a really clean house.
14. Sadly, most of the time, I don't.
13. I really love early morning hours and late night hours.
12. It is difficult, if not impossible, to reconcile these two likes.
11. I love to play Mah Jongg. (And win.)
10. Much of the music I love has been relegated to oldies radio stations.
9. I am addicted to public radio.
8. I love Elvis Costello, Harry Connick Jr., Broadway soundtracks, and the Steve Miller Band.
7. And a bunch of other music.
6. The last book I read was The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio.
5. As a child, my dream home was Crete, Nebraska, where my grandparents lived.
4. My dream home now? With my husband and daughters, wherever that is.
3. I graduated from the University of Missouri and have my master's from Bradley University.
2. I am six years in arrears in putting photos into albums.
1. I can ramble aimlessly for a very long time.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

The minivan is my acquiesing to the fact that I am a mother of three, along with the reality of rising gas prices. And I'd love to do lunch (see #86 above)!

Anonymous said...

I can remember...

When you wanted five children.
How lonely I was in 5th grade when you were living in England that year.
Your parent's Mustang and how you drove it the night of the Loverboy concert.
How much you liked Pat.
How much I loved Don.
The five of us going out because Eric always came along.
Designing dresses in 6th grade and making fashion books out of our drawings - complete with ridiculous names.
The Gunne Sax dresses we wore to dances.
The cool vintage dresses you wore in college.
How much fun we had our senior year of high school.

I could also go on and on but I'll stop here. I'm glad we're still friends!

Cindy said...

I do love that I can count on you to remind me of all my most embarrassing moments.

But was that concert fun or what!?!