Thursday, June 05, 2008

Wife Swap

Got an e-mail from a mom on my daughter's soccer team. She is going to be on Wife Swap, so they are re-creating a soccer practice to film for the show. Did all the girls want to be part of it?

I decided to pass. I don't my child to be part of what I consider to be an icky reality show. Survivor I see as harmless; I like American Idol. There are others that, while I don't watch them, seem fine, if that's what you're into: Amazing Race, the Bachelor.

But Wife Swap seems yucky. A wife is much more than the one who pays bills, takes care of the kids, does the cooking and cleaning. How can you trade wives? Are they doing one another's husbands, too? Ugh. And how do the kids feel about "trading" their mothers?

This woman can do what she wants (I really don't know her) - that's her business. But I decided not to let them use my child. I am not that enamored with the idea of being on television.

What would you do?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you and think you made the right decision. I think Wife Swap is weird. Other reality shows seem ok, even if they're not my style, but Wife Swap is just too...familiar.

Anonymous said...

I would have done it. Of course, I don't have a wife and I am not a wife. But, I think it might be kinda fun. It is your decision though. However, you can trade me anytime.