Sunday, June 01, 2008

Sex and the City

Checked it out last night. Tried on Friday night, but we had not purchased tickets ahead of time and were not up for the later showing ... no dice. Last night we made it to the 8.30 show. I'd say the reviews are pretty accurate. Which means that it plays more as a two-hour-plus season finale and less like a film.

I liked it - but I liked the television show. I liked it because I am interested enough in the characters to find it entertaining. But as a film, it doesn't have a lot to offer. The story is OK - ultra-predictable, as we called every plot development (the few there were) in advance. And the film was light on what the series was built on: Witty dialogue amongst four smart single Manhattan-based women who live their lives as strong women - i.e., not being defined only by men.

Nonetheless, I liked it. And as for a couple of the major storyline endings (which I will not spoil for you here), they were right on. All in all, enjoyable for me (and for the annoying Carrie/Samantha/Charlotte/Miranda-wannabes seated around me, cackling, yakking, and dressed to kill). But probably not if you didn't watch the television show.

****

We popped into our local Cajun place to have a credit card problem fixed. They were so nice about it that we ate for free - not what I was after (really just wanted the card credited the proper amount), but much appreciated.

****

Showed the house today. It is frighteningly clean and tidy. Photos tomorrow; no one is allowed to touch ANYTHING. Should be a fun night at our house ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw Sex and the City, too. I was very funny. Some good one liners.