Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Let the Good Times Roll

The girls' swim coach looks like Hayley Mills.

Not the attractive adult Hayley Mills. Not the cute little kid Hayley Mills. But an adult with all the unattractive features: the bug eyes, reddish hair, freckles, and buck teeth.

I don't really know this woman, so the comment on her appearance is not judgmental - I"m just stating what I see, as I might if she closely resembled Isaballa Rosselini. Nor is it a condemnation of her character - she may be a very nice woman. I'm merely commenting on what I see. A grown-up version of Hayley Mills.

And it has nothing whatsoever to do with this post. Which is about how fun summer is. I have felt GREAT the last few days. And I realize it is because the girls are home with me.

Living out here in the subdivision from hell, I have felt isolated and under-busy. I am under-employed and do not have nearly enough to do. In short, my days are long. So now that the girls are home, I have energy and plenty to do. Everything is more fun when the girls are around. We swim every day, we hang out, we talk, and for the last three days - three whole days! - it has been great fun.

It has also been expensive. Yesterday we went to the mall ... $$$$$ ... (but the girsl look fabulous) and today we went to Target. I had four things on my list; I'll let you guess what the cart held by the time we were done. But it was fun. Just not something I can repeat every day. Or every week, for that matter.

We have fantastic new dishes to use outside - since our entire summer revolves around life in the pool - and we have new swimsuits. It is early June, which means swimsuits are 50 percent off in Houston. Mine is fabulous, and reminds me of why women flock to the pricier brands. I got a very beautiful Ralph Lauren suit at half price, and I must say, it is the most flattering suit ever - it would have been worth it at full price, which, mercifully, I did not have to pay.

So, with new swimsuits, a clean house, and very trendy plastic flamingo and dragonfly-covered cups, we are ready to hit the pool. Just need to update my reading collection and all will be perfect. Life is seeming awfully good right now.

No comments: