Thursday, June 05, 2008

Houston = Hot

It is hotter than blazes here. Over 90 degrees (that would be hotter than 33 C) every day.

Which is why one needs a swimming pool in these parts. It's not a mere luxury - it is a necessity. Otherwise, we would never, ever want to go outside - our backyard would be rendered useless for three months. As it is, we spend a ton of time out there. Which is how I can justify my purchase of so many brightly colored plastic eating implements.

(They are so worth it, by the way. We have cups with stripes and cups with polka dots - pink, orange, green, and sky blue - which coordinate with the four colors of plates. We have serving dishes, salad bowls, and ice cream bowls. We have a relish tray and a platter for burgers or brats. We have huge water cups with charming little creatures on them. We have plastic animals to tag your drink. And to tie it all together, we have a tray, and we have baskets for silverware and napkins.

I did not yet splurge on the wine and martini glasses ... but I will ... )

Alison and I spent our afternoon in the pool. The other two had plans, but the two of us did our version of swimming, which means we floated around, talked, and listened to the great music coming from the outdoor speakers. Then we hightailed it inside to tidy up and vamoose in order for perspective buyers to check out the property.

I know, I know - you're wondering how I can stand to leave this fantastic backyard. Easy - our next house will have a pool - ! - and we will be remodeling enough inside that I will have everything there that I have here.

And even better - my best friend will live just doors away! And other friends will be nearby. We will live in an urban area (if you can call a city of 85,000 people "urban"). We will be able to walk places, to enjoy the city (as it were). No more HOA breathing down residents' necks, citing them for every infraction. We'll be returning to life the way we like it.

I've gotten off track - hours and hours of cleaning will do that to you. It's just been a good day. Even though I had to spend money replacing our pool pump - our two-year-old pool pump - and even though I lost out on a potential fun vacation (I'm still mourning the idea) and had to vacate the premises for two hours. It's all good - cause I know life is just going to get better and better.

Sigh of contentment. Life is good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you can justify your plasticware purchases! Actually, I invested in some of the cool Melamine stuff myself. I found mine at Target where they had some cool square plates in stripes and solids. I didn't invest in the drinkware, but that's because I'm purging the house of all our stuff. In case our dream home become available!

Sounds like the move is going to be wonderful. At least when you unpack all the boxes and get settled it will be wonderful. In the meantime, you try to stay cool and I'll try not to drown with all the rain we're having here.